Discussion Thread -> "A Pork Rib-Off!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"A Pork Rib-Off!"

Richards-BBQ-Pork-Ribs_large.jpg

As chosen by silverfinger for his back-to-back win in the "Let's Get Pickled!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

silverfinger said:
In honor of Labor Day weekend I choose "A Pork Rib-Off!"

Oh yea,
It's never been done.:shocked:

Special Rule: No Country Style Ribs since they really aren't ribs!
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/30 through Sunday 9/8.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 9/9.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread. :loco:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
While not intended for the rib throwdown, timing is everything so I guess I will be the newb who makes the initial sacrifice to the brethren rib gods ...went back to the way I used to cook on my kettle as I had grown tired of 3-2-1 over sauced ribs, tired of low slow 5-6 hr cooks spent endlessly spritzing with mediocre results..... So today I put 2 Racks of ribs with a rub of salt ,pepper garlic,and cummin on the smoke at 275 on lump mesquite with a little kings comp ... The temps drifted to 300-325 most of the cook which took 3 hours ...At 1-1/2 hours in I started stacking and rotating the position every 15-20 min until I pulled them .. No need for spritzing as they were self basting... nice tug to the meat but pulled clean from the bone ... Full f flavor and no sauce needed....No pics of fancy plates nor sides .....they were cut and eaten as soon as I was done cutting .... Ribs ...No Fannn-cy Forks needed....just paper towels!!
null_zpsd9b3be73.jpg

null_zps7cb547de.jpg

null_zps8123667e.jpg

null_zps8123667e.jpg

Bloody good!

Mine will be up in the next few days... Fathers day here in Aussie Land, and I've had a great day. I've done a full brisket with the deckle and 2 spares. Gonna eat in about 30 mins... I'm HUNGRY!!!!!

Cheers!

Bill

Guys... Please remember to include "This is my entry" or something similar at the beginning of your post so we know to include it when we put together the vote thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166004

luv2putt and fantomlord, please confirm that your posts are entries since it is past the 6 hour edit window.

Consider that my entry with verbage that included a lack of clarity ... Induced surely by the amount of IPA consumed I'm sure...

Consider that my entry with verbage that included a lack of clarity ... Induced surely by the amount of IPA consumed I'm sure...

Got it. And which picture do you want used for the vote thread?

Please consider this, my long awaited return entry into the BBQ Brethren throwdowns!!

It's good to be back home! :grouphug:

Enough of that, time for the RIBS BABY!

St. Louis trimmed spares in the YS1500. Left rack is rubbed with 3Eyz, right rack is S&P.

Getting close

I opened the HMS plate at the end of the cook to allow a more direct head to set the sauce and finish the racks.

Looking Good!

Please use the following photo as my vote thread entry photo.

Guys... Please remember to include "This is my entry" or something similar at the beginning of your post so we know to include it when we put together the vote thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166004

luv2putt and fantomlord, please confirm that your posts are entries since it is past the 6 hour edit window.

sorry...please consider that post my entry thread, and use the pic included for voting

Official Entry

Getting ready for a big crew

Time to try out the new cooker

Loaded up and smok'n

Some down time to wait for family

Troops are here time to play

Getting close

Time for some sauce (use this pic please)

I'll do a few things differently next time but all in all not bad for the maiden voyage.

Nice job! Which picture do you want to use?

This Is My Entry in The Pork Rib-Off Throwdown

After a long hiatus from entering TD's, I'm back! :loco:

Aren't y'all excited? :mrgreen:

Also, this is a textbook example of HOW to enter a TD, from titling the actual thread as an entry in a specific TD, to clearly indicating which photo you want the mods to use as your entry/voting photo. This is so the mods don't have to ask if this is an actual entry or which photo I wanted as my entry shot, which makes their job a LOT easier. :razz:

Speaking of back, I picked up a nice rack of pork back ribs yesterday:

After removing the membrane, the ribs got a good coating of John Henry Pecan Rub:

Fired up the Vision Kamado with mesquite - that metal thingy is called the Spider, (purchased online at the Ceramic grill store - thanks for the tip, Jed!) which seemed a much better constructed product than the stock vision diffuser holder:

Added some pecan:

Then put my custom made granite diffuser on the Spider:

On the ribs went to the top rack:

I dialed in the temp of the Kamado at 275. About 2 hours later, they were pretty much done as the ribs were starting to "weep":

Close up of the weepy goodness:

Not long after that, I gave them a light coating of sauce - all I had on hand was Stubbs, which is fine.

Brought the ribs inside, and cut them up:

Let's take a closer look:

Please use the following pic as my voting entry:

The ribs were off the chart delish. Bursting with moisture and delicious porky flavor goodness.

Thanks for checking out my textbook entry in the Pork Rib Off TD!

Back