• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wings- hot and fast or low and slow?

Bigbux58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing wings on the uds for the first time today... Need some advice on cooking them.

I usually do mine at 325+ degrees. Flip them about 1/2 way through. Toss them in sauce after they are done.

Hot and fast so the skin is crispy. If you cook it under 300 degrees the skin will be rubbery unless you cook the heck out of them so you can bite through it. When you do them 300+ the skin will be nice and crispy and bit through.

I do my wings above 300 degrees. Takes about 45 mins to an hour or so depending on temp and if your cooking drumettes or the whole wing. Higher the temp the better the skin will be. Low temps equals rubbery skin.

I go hot and fast, too. Otherwise, as mentioned, the skin is rubbery.

CD

I do both. My wings are rubbed with a mix of homemade rub and oil. Then they go on with smoke(generally apple) at 250 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

While they are smoking I make my own hot sauce. Its a mixture of franks hot sauce, cider vinegar, bourbon, and my homemade rub. I bring it to a boil and then take it off the heat to simmer.

to finish the wings I brush the sauce on and crank the heat up to about 350. Brush one side with sauce let go for 5 minutes, then turn them brush the other side and let go another 5 minutes. The come out fantastic with good crispy skin.

They are also great with just the rub and no sauce

Agreed hot and fast, to long and you will get the unpleasent oversmoked flavor

Hot and Fast. I do mine at 400 to 450 and cook using plate setter on BGE. Indirect provides even cooking without burning. Nice and crispy everytime.

I do both. My wings are rubbed with a mix of homemade rub and oil. Then they go on with smoke(generally apple) at 250 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

While they are smoking I make my own hot sauce. Its a mixture of franks hot sauce, cider vinegar, bourbon, and my homemade rub. I bring it to a boil and then take it off the heat to simmer.

to finish the wings I brush the sauce on and crank the heat up to about 350. Brush one side with sauce let go for 5 minutes, then turn them brush the other side and let go another 5 minutes. The come out fantastic with good crispy skin.

They are also great with just the rub and no sauce

Ths is what I do. Takes a little longer but the low and slow with brined wings then cranked up at the end makes for some farking great wings!

Definitely hot and fast. I do mine 375 indirect and finish them off with a reverse sear to char the skin. I also like to keep the two pieces together (minus the tip) and cut them into individual wings when they are finished, followed by saucing.

Since the best wings in the world are fried then hot and fast is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Back