At what temperature do most people smoke chicken?

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

In the past I've smoked chicken at the low and slow 225-250 range. However when I asked about smoking a turkey around Thanksgiving people were recommending cooking it more around the 375 range. Is that just true turkey or do people also cook their chickens at a higher temp?

In the low and slow range it is seriously slow to get to 165 internal temp on a chicken. I'm wondering if I'm wasting time or doing the right thing.

Thanks
Sam

I do chicken in the 350-375 range, same as turkeys.

I smoke everything at 225 to 245 degrees. Doesn't matter what it is.

I smoke whole birds in the 250 range. I grill chicken breasts at 350-375. I smoke wings, at 225, but in a sauce bath to keep them from drying out.
When I spatchcock a whole chicken, I treat it as I would breasts

Lately I've been going from 300-350 for chicken & I've been getting results more to my liking - skin is much better and chicken is still really juicy.

I agree with most of the others...high heat it!! You can rock some nicely trimmed thighs in about 30 minutes if you push your temps to 375+.

Chickens like higher heat. If you don't want it rubbery I would go 350 to 375.

I like it in the 350 range myself. I don't like my chicken to have too much of the smoke flavor. 350 until breasts are about 165 IT and thighs at 175 works best for me.

You'll get rubbery skin at lower temps. I really don't see a need to go low with chicken. It takes smoke readily, in fact you can easily over smoke if your not careful. Minimum I try to go is 275 and I generally hover around 325 depending on the cut.

I smoke everything at 225 to 245 degrees. Doesn't matter what it is.

Same here but I cook the chicken in the hottest part. You can then do a reverse sear on them at the end to crisp up the skin. And sometimes when smoking, I use skinless.

I prefer cooking birds in the hot spot at 275* in the offset. I think it gives a nice balance of smoke for the meat and sizzle for the skin as well as keeping the cook time reasonable.

Thanks everyone... I'll give it a try and report back with the results.

Back