View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #39
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Brisket bark is not from sugar more than it is from pepper and coarse salt from what I have noticed. If you put other spices in yoour rub, it will be in there too, but just a simple coarse salt and pepper rub will make quite a bark by the time the brisket is done. I think the fact that the coarse salt remains on the outside shows that it is not going to make the brisket salty. Now, if you put a finer grained salt on first, like the seasoned salt Donnie-Pitmaster-T is talking about here, that stuff is gonna get sucked right into the meat, along with the flaovrs of the rubs. Heck, now I'm repeating what Donnie already said.

In short, coarse salt and black pepper makes a mean brisket bark.
Chris... I work hard... hard thinking of new ways to give out answers and "obscure" what I am saying for those that don't want to listen. I was hoping with the wealth of words I puked out about this subject the tip about the season salt (small grain) would go unnoticed. Then you go out and draw attention to it. LOL

And one thing about Paul Kirk (admirable Talent for sure).

If your using his rubs and techniques, and are not satisfied with the product entirely... then maybe you are wishing to exceed his brisket.... which is entirely possible. He would laugh at this for sure.

Remember, competition briskets are made to impress the judges after having about 1 or 2 square inches (what they average to taste). You have to wow the judge often with only the pretty little shaving of flat meat you present.

A plate of good brisket (point/flat/and burnt end or two) that you get from a joint satisfies on many different levels.

Remember... HONESTLY, you do NOT eat with your eyes first.

Anyonme want to challenge that statement??????????????