Vacuum sealer

shagnasty

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering what vacuum sealers you guys may be using( if you are in to vacuum sealing:grin:) ? Any things to watch out for? Certain brands to avoid?

Im in for opinions as well. Been thinking about getting a sealer lately

I have a Foodsaver and it does fine for my needs. I seal stuff up about once a month or 2 after a big cook.

I like the auto seal mode on mine so I don't have to press a button to initiate the seal cycle.

I use a Foodsaver brand, got it on sale for around $80 a couple years ago. Still going strong. I use it to freeze leftovers and also for comp meat prep.

I also have a Foodsaver. It's several years old and does a good job. I have been eyeing the Weston sealers to be able to handle bigger things, like a whole brisket.

I have a cheep Seal-a-Meal (a couple of models ago). It does what it is supposed to do and has never given me any problems. The thing I remember best is that it came with a bunch of bags and rolls even at its low price.

Foodsaver here as well. Got it a year ago on special for $120 IIRC. Like Peeps, it is plenty for me and does the job. If you're going to use it constantly then I would like at the more expensive ones at Cabela's, Scheels, Basspro etc.

I have a Foodsaver VAC550 that is well over 10 years old and have had Dozens and Dozens of rolls packed with it. Never had an issue with it.
I like some of the options the newer, bigger units have such as manual sealing option for soups etc.

Just my .02 :thumb:

My food saver is ten years old now. Still works fine. Watch for deals on rolls of material on the internet.

6 year old Food saver here--that I just keep wishing would die so I could justify buying a Weston

I use a foodsaver. Costco and internet retailers tend to put them on sale during the holidays at great prices b/c they make fantastic gifts. I highly recommend. I use it when I cook pulled pork, chicken, etc. I put the cooked meat in a bag with some juices then freeze. When its time to eat, boil and serve. As close to fresh as you can get.

Not to mention it lets me buy meats in bulk then seal what I don't immediately need in portion sizes more appropriate for 2 adults.

Foodsaver...here also. Use it about 20 times a year...does a decent job.

I have one of the more basic food savers I bought used for $20 on ebay and it works pretty well. I want one of the automatic ones where you don't have to hold down the top part for it to work and might get one for xmas. I actually find I use it more on non bbq food too. Things like when I make meatballs, buying chicken in bulk or cheese in bulk. For pulled pork leftovers I find the quart zip lock freezer bags work quite well because pork is pretty easy to push all the air out of and seal without a food saver.

Food Saver here as well. It's a great little machine and they make an inexpensive attachment that will let you vacuum seal large mouth ball jars, great for keeping dry goods fresh.

I went through several FoodSavers over many years.
Got good service out of them, but...

Finally broke down and bought a chamber type machine.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164557&highlight=vacmaster

I should have done that many years ago 8)

Cheaper bags (by far) and no more concerns about liquids and powders in the bags.
And not that much more than the conventional baggers with less capability.

TIM

I have the big one from Cabelas that does 15 inch bags. I do buy the bags from Weston and they work well with alot of sealers. I buy bulk food and seal in family portions. Saves me money.

I am on my third Foodsaver, it works fine, I just don't seem to have a lot of luck keeping them going. If I did more volume than I do now I would get a Weston, or the Cabela's version of it in a heartbeat.

That said I saw a commercial for this new unit Foodsaver has that seems interesting. It's a little pricey but if it is a little more industrial strength than the basic units it may be worth it.

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/FSFSSL4865-DTC.html

I have a six-year-old food saver and have not had a problem with it at all. Friend of mine just bought a automatic seal food saver from Costco and had to take it back. Seems like he had problems getting it to seal properly. The gentleman at the customer service desk said that this was the fifth one brought back last weekend and they are sending their stock back to food saver. Probably just a fluke as many on here said they have had no problem.

I use the Weston 2300. I have had it for two years with no problems. It can use the 15 inch wide bags if needed, but I mostly use the gallon bags.

While it may cost more than a foodsaver, it is serviceable and parts are readily available to the end user.

Back