Monday Tri Tip

DDave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did a tri tip on the UDS today. Used some Pappy's seasoning.
DSC03034.jpg

Here it is with a little Pappy's on it. Wife and the kids don't like too much. Tastes pretty salty if you get carried away with it.
DSC03037.jpg

Here it is on the UDS.
DSC03038.jpg

It was still cloudy and rainy out. Sorry about the dark pic.
Here it is about an hour later when the sun came out for a couple of seconds.
DSC03039.jpg

And here it is sliced.
DSC03040.jpg

I'm still kind of experimenting with the Kingsford Comp Briquettes. I have a hard time keeping the temps below 260° with it. (My drum has 3 3/4" intakes and 8 1/2" exhaust holes.) I tried the standard 1 cap off and valve about 1/3 open. I only started 8 briquettes in the chimney, and brought it up real slow and things were going along at about 245° until I lifted the lid to put the meat on. It shot up a bit and dropped a bit but didn't want to come down past 255° or 260°. Now at this time the temp is being measured somewhat off center of the grate because the meat is on the center of the grate. Ended up running most of the time with 2 caps on and the valve all the way open but I didn't want to choke it down anymore. I am a little gun shy about choking the air off too much.
When I lifted the lid again to check the temps it bounced up and wanted to run about 285°. I wasn't too worried since I usually cook them at much higher temps anyway but I would like to be able to keep the Kingsford Comp stuff under control. I am going to do a 10.5 pound brisket on Fridsy and I don't know if I should chance it with the new stuff or just go with some RO briquettes that I have had good luck in the UDS with. I'm kind of leaning towards the RO right now.
Dave

Lid not sealing I would bet. Do you have a band clamp? Gotta be quick when lid is off also. Have you tried the low sodium Pappy's? Blue top.

Oh yeah Tri-Tip looks tasty.

Looks good Dave. I have never eaten Tri Tip, have to add this to my list of new stuff to smoke.

Very nice job.

Where's far northern California?

Corning. :biggrin: About 100 miles north of Sacramento

Lid not sealing I would bet.

Lid seals insanely well. Feels like opening a refrigerator door when you lift it off. Close all the intakes and the temps drop like a rock. In fact, it still had coals in it, I had the intakes all open and the thermo on the side was reading about 260°. Closed all the intakes and less then 5 minutes later it is reading 230° and dropping.

At first I thought my exhaust holes were too big. I drilled out the 1/2" holes to 3/4" right before I tried the Kingsford Comp for the first time several weeks ago. Since then I have put 1/2" close nipples back in the exhaust holes so the opening is smaller and the stuff still wants to creep away from the 225° - 250° range. Maybe I need to start even fewer coals or use my skinny tall basket to keep the fire from spreading out.

Dave

Dave, I'm not an expert but, give the thing 30 minutes after making an adjustment.
I really do think that it takes that long especially after opening the lid.
Norco may be able to add to this. I'd be interested in his thinking as well.

Weiser

Lid seals insanely well. Feels like opening a refrigerator door when you lift it off. Close all the intakes and the temps drop like a rock. In fact, it still had coals in it, I had the intakes all open and the thermo on the side was reading about 260°. Closed all the intakes and less then 5 minutes later it is reading 230° and dropping.

At first I thought my exhaust holes were too big. I drilled out the 1/2" holes to 3/4" right before I tried the Kingsford Comp for the first time several weeks ago. Since then I have put 1/2" close nipples back in the exhaust holes so the opening is smaller and the stuff still wants to creep away from the 225° - 250° range. Maybe I need to start even fewer coals or use my skinny tall basket to keep the fire from spreading out.

Dave

Can you score some olive wood? I'd love to give that a try. Used to do a lot of business in Corning when I lived in Chico, but that was a long time ago.

What I do is I start coals, 1 off, valve open. Put lid on, grate in. I get ready with meat. I wait until gauge on side is @200. I open, lift grate add flavor chunks, run brush over grate and add meat. I close up as quickly as possible. I shut valve almost all the way. First 1/2 hour make adjustments with valve to maintain 200-210 on side gauge. At times i have had to put cap on and just go 3/4 -to full valve. If it clinbs too high It takes a while to get it down. Thing about tri-tip is depending how yuo like it it doesn't take long. See most who use it put a large load, 1-2 putts at 6-8 lbs apiece Vs your 3-3.5 lb. tri tip. This helps dampen initial overshoot. Most temp adjustments should be small and given 20-30 min stabilization. A few adjustments and the 1 1/2 -2 hours to cook tri-tip is gone. Remember 200-210 on gauge = 240-250 center.

I am kind of surprised by the price of that Tri-tip as I thought it was less expensive in CA?
Looks good.

Can you score some olive wood?

My coworker has an olive orchard. I'll have to ask. Stuff is pretty oily and burns pretty hot from what I hear people say -- at least in their fireplace. Not sure how it would be in a smoker.

What I do is I start coals, 1 off, valve open. Put lid on, grate in. I get ready with meat. I wait until gauge on side is @200. I open, lift grate add flavor chunks, run brush over grate and add meat. I close up as quickly as possible. I shut valve almost all the way. First 1/2 hour make adjustments with valve to maintain 200-210 on side gauge. At times i have had to put cap on and just go 3/4 -to full valve. If it clinbs too high It takes a while to get it down. Thing about tri-tip is depending how yuo like it it doesn't take long. See most who use it put a large load, 1-2 putts at 6-8 lbs apiece Vs your 3-3.5 lb. tri tip. This helps dampen initial overshoot. Most temp adjustments should be small and given 20-30 min stabilization. A few adjustments and the 1 1/2 -2 hours to cook tri-tip is gone. Remember 200-210 on gauge = 240-250 center.

Thanks, Norco. I was wondering if more meat mass would help. The other times I have used the new K stuff there was only a single rack of ribs on. Doing a 10.5 pound brisket this weekend and haven't decided whether to use the new K or RO briquettes. If I use your startup procedure, maybe I'll try the new K.

I am kind of surprised by the price of that Tri-tip as I thought it was less expensive in CA?
Looks good.

I got it at the local Safeway. I think meat is a bit more expensive there. :biggrin: I was kind of surprised when I saw it myself.

Dave

Tri Tip is looking more and more like something I want to try to cook. Nice job, DDave.

That looks good! I'll have to try one stuffed. The flavor of tri's is great. John

Back