what judges a good brisket

T

tbrack

i smoked a beef brisket this weekend and it was awsome:-D when i cut into the brisket fell apart. i was wondering what do judges look for in competition? i have never entered a comp. with beef, the first couple of briskets were not that good. thanks!

In our judging class the instructor said the brisket should be about the thickness of a pencil and when you pick the slice up it should not fall apart. It should come apart when pulled from each end with only slight pressure.

As you didnt bring me any to try, I suspect they were not that good! LOL
Seriously, I have never entered a competition, I like the idea that CS suggested. As long as it is not dry, I am good for anything!

In our judging class the instructor said the brisket should be about the thickness of a pencil and when you pick the slice up it should not fall apart. It should come apart when pulled from each end with only slight pressure.

We must have had the same instructor! What you do not want is something that falls apart if you try to slice it - it may be tender, but it is overcooked, nor do you want something that you have to slice VERY thin so that it is tender (undercooked). You want a visible smoke ring, although they will supposedly not judge you on that since it can be made artificially. I am always looking for a great BEEF flavor along with the above criteria.

Here is a picture of our Brisket from last weekend. . As all the others indicated a good beef flavor and pencil thick slices that do not fall apart are key.
4.jpg

That is a awsome looking brisket what place did it come in at

Dang, Lee. Good thing it's lunch time.
Gorgeous beef critter...

I don't know anything about judging but I do know about being hungry.

And that Brisket has got me hungry!!!!

Thanks for the comments. It was pretty good Brisket. It won at Raytown last week.

thanks for the input!!!! man that looks great!! is there a compitition that is wood only? or is it a mix of different smokers?

Back