View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Default Completed my first cookoff this weekend

I competed in a sanctioned IBCA in Irving TX this past weekend. There were some very good BBQ'rs there. There were a total of 32 pits entered. There was a hellacious dust storm during the event too. When we got home last night I had several shingles missing, had them repaired today by guys riding around the neighborhood.

BTW, I settled on our team name. Grilla's in the Pits (thanks Ty)

I didn't do as well as I would like to have. But I did learn. I didn't realize what it took to score high until I saw what other folks do. I didn't sauce or glaze my ribs, mistake, that was my best finish too. I made it as far as the final table, which I suppose is pretty good.

All in all I made very good ribs and chicken. I got exactly what I was going for. Now my brisket sucked, it never really got finished. I actually prepared 2, one was trimmed and the other a packer. I turned in 7 slices from the trimmed brisket, it didn't have really good flavor, mainly because it wasn't done. I placed it back in the oven when I got home last night and finally today it was done. Perfect too. I used two probes and both read around 190 when I began the briskets rest. The only thing I didn't do that I normally do was wrap it at 160.

Now I met some of the best folks ever at the event. They all gave me helpful information which should allow me to do better in the future. I didn't run into any Brethren there....ughhhhhhh, I did run into some Stumpers though.

That was my weekend.....................

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote