Looking for a Smoker

E

EZ Smoker

A buddy of mine and I are looking for a smoker, I would say in the 300 gallon range, It does not have to be on a trailer. I was wondering if anyone knew of any for sale say in the $1200.00 range or less.

Never saqw one listed as 300 gallon...check ebay often. Also craigslist. Thillin found me a Klose Backyard Chef for 1200, had to drive form NYC to Kansas city to get it but have been very happy with it. Scott

Sounds like you're looking for a smoker built from a propane tank, right?

does not have to be from a propane tank, I was just using that as a refernce to the size I am looking for. I would want it that big or bigger.

Here are a couple of examples of LARGE smokers...I've used the one with two chimneys...odds are someone in your region makes cookers, too.

http://www.partygrills.com/

Attachments

• Firebox.jpg
    Firebox.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Full%20_view.jpg
    Full%20_view.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 192
  • BigSmoker-full.jpg
    BigSmoker-full.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 190
How big is that smoker Chad?
I figure a three foot diameter by about 6 feet length would give you something just over 300 gallons-

The one I used was something like 40" pipe and 8-10 feet long. It has double shelves in each side.

That is a big smoker. I think that translates [using 10 foot length] to about 650 gallons.
Sounds about right. The big cooker my buddy and I cook big events on started life as a 500 gallon propane tank.

I think you guys have the size down......now how you gonna fit that into the limited budget?

A 630 gallon tank at 1200.00 is $1.85 per gallon. Thats cheaper than gas.:-D
Seriously, I have seen some big old ones made from propane tanks around here for under a 1000.00 on a trailer. Don't know where one is right now, but will keep my eye out.

Forget the tank stuff. You owe it to yourself to have a look at a Spicewine Cooker. See them at www.spicewineironworks.com. I can tell you first hand, that these smokers are make with the very best craftsmenship.

PS: I am not affiliated with Spicewine Ironworks. I own a Spicewine Cooker and cant believe the craftsmenship.

Sawdustguy said:
Forget the tank stuff. You owe it to yourself to have a look at a Spicewine Cooker. See them at www.spicewineironworks.com. I can tell you first hand, that these smokers are make with the very best craftsmenship.

PS: I am not affiliated with Spicewine Ironworks. I own a Spicewine Cooker and cant believe the craftsmenship.
I mean no disrespect to Spice as I really want one of his smokers, but you need to decide what kind of smoker you want. I really wanted a stick burner, and that is why I picked the Lang first, which I really love (the Southern in me:twisted: !). I will own a large Spicewine shortly to compliment my stick burner, but you need to decide what style you want. $1200 is really limiting your options for that size smoker, so you will have to be really diligent in your search! Like the words of a previous post, you get what you pay for!

Noah, I was in the same boat. I was just set on burning sticks. The BSKD fit the bill for me. The Lang is a remodeled propane tank, but that's not a bad thing. The thick metal is a fine advantage. Take advantage of what is available for the best dollar value. And yes I too will some day have a spice box. These are all fine cookers. The priority to me is that K took a dump and that makes stick burning all that much more appealing to me. Oak trees grow on every piece of undeveloped land here. Hope this made sense.

Kevin, I agree with you and Noah. If our brother EZ Smoker had asked advice on the BEST smoker available, I would point him toward Spicewine at once.
However he seems to be looking for a large stick burner, so that is what we were talking about-and low cost. The tank based cookers are the ones that most easily fit that description. The thick metal is a boon both in heat retention and in resisting burn-out and rust. That makes even elderly units a good buy.
My buddy and I have been cooking on our cooker for over 20 years, and it shows no rust or wear. The only thing we have replaced is the fire baskets-the original ones were made out of fairly light expanded metal.

Yo fellow cooker/smokers...I am EZ Smokers "partner in smoke" and would like to express my appreciation in your attempts to aid us in our search of the "holy cooker"...Ole EZ and I have both been satisfying the carnivoric addicts of our social circle for some time using "patio-sized" cookers/smokers and feel we are ready to graduate to "road-sized" unit...Any advice and/or leads on purchase would be embraced...I had read some of the posts regarding the Klose cooker on e-bay and put in a bid...I bid <$1,000.00 and the unit ended up going for >$2,000.00...I got an e-mail from the seller advising me I could have the unit for my last bid as the winner declined...I assume the unit was mis-represented but requested the dude send me some pictures of HIS cooker and not pictures from the manufacturers sight...Those "spice" cookers look nice, real nice...Are those stick burners or propane; I couldn't tell...Anyway, thanks for letting us in your "circle", we will always be respectfull and thankfull...Sincerely...Left Handed Smoke

The problem with a "Best Smoker," is that each one of us has a different idea of what makes a great smoker. Its like arguing over which truck is better, a Ford or a Chevy???

I have always and will always say that there are allot of great smokers out there. Very well built and each with it's own character and style. The question is what kind of smoker best fits your needs and not which is the " Best " smoker. Once you answer that question than you have narrowed the field considerably.

Just my .02

Spice

Back