We are really having a hard time out here...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...drawing enough teams for our events to make them qualifiers. Even our first year events are only drawing 11 teams...kinda sad! Anyone notice an attendance downturn in your neck of the woods? :tsk:

JD with the weather we are having in the midwest this summer I would move to your neck of the woods in a heartbeat! The heat is killing us out here and making BBQ comps a struggle. As for a downturn, the 7 contests we have cooked the numbers have been pretty good. I would say 75% full! But keep in mind we have many contests within 3 hours on KC every weekend. Sorry to hear you guys can not get teams out your way!

Jon

...drawing enough teams for our events to make them qualifiers. Even our first year events are only drawing 11 teams...kinda sad! Anyone notice an attendance downturn in your neck of the woods? :tsk:

Haven't seen a big loss of teams..actually Costa Mesa set the state record last month with 68 teams..only one event saw a huge downturn and that was Morgan Hill..they went from the biggest to average 65 to 43..the rest at least in So Cal have been 40-50 on average..Dana Point this year will probably hit 60+ no problem.

ya southern california is booming. I'd like to make it up there and cook, seems you have a really short season though. Headed up there in october wish there was a comp to cook up there then

I think the numbers for a comp are about the same but I see a significant number of comps from a few years ago that no longer exist. About half of the contest I judged two years ago do not exist anymore. keith

Haven't seen a big loss of teams..actually Costa Mesa set the state record last month with 68 teams..only one event saw a huge downturn and that was Morgan Hill..they went from the biggest to average 65 to 43..the rest at least in So Cal have been 40-50 on average..Dana Point this year will probably hit 60+ no problem.

According to the National BBQ Rankings database, CA has had the 6th most bbq contests since 2006. I was surprised to see that and they certainly have been coming hard this season. You also see a lot more double header weekends in CA...more than anywhere else.

According to the National BBQ Rankings database, CA has had the 6th most bbq contests since 2006. I was surprised to see that and they certainly have been coming hard this season. You also see a lot more double header weekends in CA...more than anywhere else.

Interesting fact..we are looking at the most ever here this year..our state is so big is part of it and weather is a factor too..plus it's growing here very quickly.

it may have to do with the weather?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Very much so..we basically have no off season..we cooked new year and again at the end of Jan in Havasu..Northern Cal has a lot more rain than down south but it's still bearable to cook in than heavy snow..also a lot of teams from So Cal make the trips to Nv and Az more often.

Attendance is up in the center of the country. After 15 contests, my average contest size is 57.

Let's not forget that CA had one contest with a whopping 4 teams. Mostly due to a lack of communication between the organizer and teams.

It is great to have so many contests relatively close. I had planned to do around 5. Right now, I'm at 7 and will cook at least 10 this year, all within 100 miles of home. Sure beats those 6 to 10 hour drives.

Benny

JD - I think the PNWBA needs to relook at some of the prize pools. I'm looking at competing next year there and probably won't do that many contests. Looking at the August - October schedule, only 4 contests have total payouts over $5k. When I look at the Portland OR IPA contest with a pool of 4k, if I pulled one out of my a$$ and won all four events, I'd walk with $1,250 in total with the GC prize. No one is doing this for money, but I'd be dropping 500-1k to just pull out of the drive way (150 entry + 120 in gas + 300 in meat + supplies), be lucky to break even as the GC, and still have a 8 hour round trip to be staring at. Next year, I'll probably hit the big payout tournaments and possibly some that are close, but chances of me driving to OR, MT etc. for 3-5k prize pools is pretty close to none. Its tough to push on the contests, but to get Jack 25 numbers, got to have some prizes to entice me to come out and drive the distance.

Event attendance in Georgia seems about level, but then the number of contests here has been growing steadily for the past 5 years. So by that measure, yes, the total number of contest entries statewide is up.

I think we're near saturation for what the in-state pool of teams can support, so any future growth will probably have to come from either new cooks or teams coming in from other states.

Let's not forget that CA had one contest with a whopping 4 teams. Mostly due to a lack of communication between the organizer and teams.

Benny

Which one was that?

JD, are there the same number of CONTESTS as in prior years?

In AZ our contests have been quite a bit bigger than last years. It's really cool to see so many new teams come in and be excited about competing. The downside is we have absolutely zero contests announced for the rest of the year right now although I hear some are coming. I'm looking at some pretty long drives over the next couple of months for our next 3 contests.

JD, are there the same number of CONTESTS as in prior years?

There are actually a few more new ones at the beginning of the season and folks turned out to support them. Now we are in the middle of the season and we just can't get the teams to come out. I am afraid if we can't get the team support a lot of our events will disappear. Our prize money has always been around 5,000.00 on average. We have a few around 7-15 grand and our big daddy is 25 grand. Thanks for the input folks! :p

Which one was that?

The contest was in Ontario, CA on the 1st weekend in May. More of our CA teams have come to rely on the CBBQA site for information. This organizer came very late to the site with info.

Benny

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Back