• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

Thank you that was amazing. I went by time on my first brisket and took it off to soon.
It was a bit chewy but the family took it in stride, thank god the beer was cold and went down better than my brisket. My next attempt the meat will tell me when its ready

I gave you credit elsewhere on this thread, and wanted to make sure you see it here as well. The tip for pulling it when it is soft as butter and not worrying about the temp was spot on. I did my first cook today and the kids were lining up for thirds. Thanks for this post!

Wow. I've been cooking brisket since I was 14 yrs old and my dad said "here, go cook this" and shoved a paper wrapped brisket at me while he was bringing home our first side of beef. I learned ALOT today. I had never thought or heard of "burnt ends" until today. I can't wait to try it. I also didn't know about using a "probe" to check for doneness. I have always just guessed. Thanks so much for the info.

When probing the flat for that doneness feel, do you insert it with or against the grain or does it not matter?

Can't wait to try it out. Have a UDS almost done, just waiting for the lid ring to be welded to a kettle lid (long story, but don't try to burn off the liner/paint by simply hitting it long and hard with a propane torch, unless you don't mind having a lid shaped like a round tortilla chip).

How the he!! did I miss this thread?
Excellent job Chris!

How many of you buy the packers and then separate the point and flat to smoke separately?
Burnt ends are just so dang good!! Aren't they?
I do. I trim and seperate before I cook. I have the 18.5 WSMs, so I lay the point fat side down first then lay the flat fat side down over the top. Easier to make one fit that way.
It's more cost effective to buy this way, right?
I weighed the fat after trimming a packer, and cyphered the price per pound of the trimmed packer and it was cheaper than a trimmed flat. Plus, if you smoke the fat you trimmed, it makes a great cooks snack.
I generally use the back side of a knife when separating the point. This keeps the moisture loss to a minimum.
Never would have thought of that. Great tip!

Wow, this ain't a STICKY yet? (hint :p) Seriously, it would be cool to be able to put these kind of things somewhere for handy reference. Ain't never cooked no brisket, but I'm gonna!

Wow, this ain't a STICKY yet? (hint :p) Seriously, it would be cool to be able to put these kind of things somewhere for handy reference. Ain't never cooked no brisket, but I'm gonna!

I second that!
A tutorial part for building n stuff and for prepping your meat.:-D

very good instruction wish I saw that when I did my first one , JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

It seems we have a chorus, of which I'm one; GREAT TUTORIAL. The pics really helped!

Wow! Wish I had seen this BEFORE I tried my first brisket a couple weeks ago!!

I cooked based on temperature and that was very nerve wracking. I bet I checked that thermometer a thousand times. Right at the end it jumped from 180 to 190 really quick and I panic'd. I pulled it off and let it rest for about a half hour figuring I had overcooked it. Boy, was I wrong. It was still a little undercooked. Oh well, it was still good but could have been rgeat.

BTW, I used the hand-in-glove method to seperate the Flat/Point that the Cap'n showed me. Works like a charm. It came apart perfectly but be sure to wear a knit glove under the latex glove! It is REALLY hot in there!!

Russ

Hey! What the???

THAT DARNED SQUIRREL!!!

Six squirrels in one post? The squirrel society tells us that the squirrel is a comedy tool that should not be overused my friend...:p

Nice tutorial by the way...:-D

BOOKMARKED!!!! Thanks. Learned more in the first page of this post than watching two full episodes of Pit Masters!! LOL

Thanks for posting this Chris. Gonna try one of these suckers this weekend. I'm Hungry.

Back