• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I'm tired of people wanting me to cook for free!

U

undertaker

I am pretty frustrated right now. This summer I have been doing a lot of vending and catering. I am really trying to make a business out of this. But I am getting tired of family and friends volunteering me to do stuff. In fact, last friday my wife's second cousins showed up with 4 of the uggliest brisket packers I have ever seen. They wanted me to cook them for a reunion we aren't even going to. 50 lbs of meat for a reunion they expect less than 50 people to attend!

I just want to yell at them "you buying me meat to cook is not a good deal for me!"" Its like telling a contractor you'll buy the wood if he builds the house.

Here is my question: how do I politely tell these type of people to stop?!?

Ummm.....try STOP!

No one in the business cooks for free, otherwise your not in business.

I would politly tell them, I do this as a business, I would be happy to give you a price for supplying the food for you.

I would also tell your wife, the next time you volunteer my services I'll give you the bill.

How big is your dog house by the way?:mrgreen:

If you cook it then it is your name on that meat. If they don't store it right and someone gets sick, guess who gets his name on the lawsuit. Run away fast.:shock:

I'd tell them that you are now a business, and you have discovered that your insurance won't cover you when you cook meat provided by others.

Then, quote them 9.99/lb for brisket...

Lots of funny things can be said, But if hard when family is involved.

(Just for the record. Your wife's second cousin ain't family)

Now for the real advise. When it comes to family tough love is all that works. Just say no...don't bend...don't give in. Make sure your wife isn't volunteering you for this stuff.

Example of how you have to handle this. I have a family member who recently opened a frozen yogurt shop. It's run by his son. Even as the owner, when he has yogurt he pays full price. That way when other's ask for the "family discount" he gives them the same discount he gets...none.

Just say no. And make no exceptions for anyone.

Here is my question: how do I politely tell these type of people to stop?!?

(Just for the record. Your wife's second cousin ain't family).

Larry is much too nice and/or tactful.

I have absolutely NO problem telling ANY of my OR my wifes family to f#.uck off.

Use those exact words.

NEVER had those words "minced", or "misunderstood"

Ditto with what the others said, Ask them if they bring there bacon & eggs to Denny's when they go there for breakfast. And when the wife volunteers you to cook, tell her to cook it.

Well, I agree with Larry that your wife's second cousin itsn't family that can demand brisket on cue. Having said that there's nothing wrong with cooking for family for free, however, in your case, if you feel you're being walked all over, then just tell people you are not available to cook. Tell your wife not to volunteer you for 15 hours worth of prep and cooking time that could be used to make more cash. Either way - stand up!

How's about your print up your menu and prices and then add a listing of the service charge for smoking and preparing when a 'customer' provides their own meat. (hey - it can happen)

That way, when a friend, family or neighbor says they need/want you to do something you can hand them the menu of services and ask them which service on the menu they prefer and who will be paying the deposit and final bill? Get out a contract form and start filling it out.

In sales I think that's called the 'assumed close.'

It will either produce a check, cash or money order or leave you to your weekends and free time to do as you wish.

My own mother would not request me to cook something on the spot without asking me or compensating me. I would not except compensation of course from my mom, but she understands business. If anyone tried that with me I'd be quite direct with them and tell them you do not have the time.

That is tough. I had the same problem with my former computer business. Set the rules and stick to them. I was very reluctant to do that at first but I finally did and was surprised that they seemed to be fine with it. It seemed like many more were trying to give me business than were trying to take advantage.

How's about your print up your menu and prices and then add a listing of the service charge for smoking and preparing when a 'customer' provides their own meat. (hey - it can happen)

That way, when a friend, family or neighbor says they need/want you to do something you can hand them the menu of services and ask them which service on the menu they prefer and who will be paying the deposit and final bill? Get out a contract form and start filling it out.

In sales I think that's called the 'assumed close.'

It will either produce a check, cash or money order or leave you to your weekends and free time to do as you wish.

This is a nice thought, but no professional caterer can cook product provided by others. You just don't know if the meat has been stored properly prior to being turned over. Even if the customer signs a waiver, it's still the caterers reputation on the line.

If you are going to do a cost plus deal, buy the meat yourself with deposit money or use your own cash and get reimbursed.

I used to run into this all the time, I just tell people that I cannot work for free. That I work for a living and that if I just give away my services all the time, I will not be able to take care of myself. Folks that care about you will understand, folks that are using you will not be happy with you. As for the wife, seems like you need to sit down and talk about her expectations for your income and business success.

Back