Confessions of a Holiday Junkfood Junkie

K

kcquer

All kinds of mediocre crap makes its way onto Holiday buffet tables. I'm especially fond of a couple of these not so great food items. Can't explain why, but I eat them both with reckless abandon. My weaknesses, velveeta/rotel cheese dip and little smokies drenched in bad bbq sauce.

Any one else eat holiday garbage like it's going out of style?

I finished the rest of the little smokies bathing in bad bbq sauce for breakfast.

Black olives and watermelon rind.

Not just a black olive, but over the course of TDay or XDay, wife will have replenished the dish with like 5 or 6 cans of the medium and small black olives.

Buckshot a$$ for days after that.

Li'l smokies in grape jelly.....Rotel dip.......cheese balls (the kind you spread on a cracker)....cream cheese filled celery....meatballs.....Oh hell, throw it out there, I'll try it....

And I wonder why I gained 5 pounds...........

velveeta and hormel no bean chili dip
braunschweiger and cream cheese ball

Solidkick said:
Li'l smokies in grape jelly.....Rotel dip.......cheese balls (the kind you spread on a cracker)....cream cheese filled celery....meatballs.....Oh hell, throw it out there, I'll try it....

Ditto....except I like the celery filled with pimento cheese and anything on the pickle tray.

This doesn't even take the sweets into consideration.

Crab stuffed mushrooms, Cold boiled shrimp & meatballs in BBQ sauce.

Spam on a stick:twisted:

I'm guilty, AND planning to dish some up this weekend. The better half worked with some really good people a couple of years ago. Business being business they didn't get to stick together long enough. Circumstances have brought a lot of them close together, so they are having a little reunion on New Years Eve. Guess who is cookin?

Pass along those holiday junkfood recipes if you don't mind, since I've already lost mine! I'm planning to spread the tables around the house, and back yard weather permitting. I have a tex-mex table covered. I'll bee doing some pulled pork and brisket for a Q table along with some little buns, doing some baby backs, and probably Dr. Chickens ham....and of course ABT's. Picked up a roast that I'm going to smoke and slice thin to go on a table with cheese, some rolls, a horseradish sauce and some other stuff.

I told you I lost my mind. Help me out, or suffer the consequences :wink:

You need a fatty platter.

ANd I'm looking for myrecipe for Cajun Caviar.

Ya gotta have a braunschweiger and cream cheese ball. I'll dig out the recipe and edit this post.

This is realy good with cocktails:
16 ounces liver sausage (Braunschweiger in Minnesota)
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (don't use miracle whip, it's too tangy)
4 Tablespoons dill pickle relish (If'n you ain't got any chop up a dill pickle)
4 Tablespoons chopped onion, some scallions add to the mix if you got em.
1 teaspoon Worsy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (a couple of cloves fresh minced is better)
fresh parsley, or cilantro -- chopped for garnish

Mix the first 7 ingredients up and refridgerate overnight in a bowl lined with plastic wrap.
When ready to serve just tip the bowl over on a platter and remove the plastic wrap and garnish with the greens.
Serve with crackers.

Last edited:
A block of Philadelphia Brand cream cheese smothered in A-1 or Wostershire sauce, served with crackers.

Any one else eat holiday garbage like it's going out of style?[/QUOTE said:
I can't classify them as garbage, but I go crazy for Cannoli.

Once we have them in the house, you can count on me eating them until they are gone.

Guido

meatballs in BBQ sauce

Pass along those holiday junkfood recipes

BBQ Meatballs

Combine following:
3# ground beef or beef & pork
2 eggs
2 C quick oats
1 13oz can evaporated milk
1 C finely chopped onion
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Combine thoroughly (kitchen aid to the rescue) and form into walnut sized meatballs this will make 60 meatballs that will fit 20 per 9x13 pan (disposable alum pans work great)

Sauce

Combine following:
3 C catsup
2 C brown sugar (light)
2 T Liquid Smoke
1./2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 C finely diced onion
Mix well drizzle over meatballs.

Bake 1 hr@ 350*. After baking these hold for hours in a low croc-pot.

NOTE To Brother Spicebag, Next time we have a chance to meet, I'm bringing you a batch of these!!

spinich dip.... sour cream, spinich and knorr onion and vegatable soup. With that and a load of crackers, its the only greens i eat all year.

RichardF said:
A block of Philadelphia Brand cream cheese smothered in A-1 or Wostershire sauce, served with crackers.

I forgot about that one, it's a classic. I also use habanero jelly instead of the A1 and it turns out good. Another use of the cream cheese. Spread it on some of those wafer thin beef/ham slices and then roll up and cut into slices. Works really good with the Onion and Chives brand Philadelphia CC.

Phil....I had forgotten about the spinach dip too. It's really good with those bacon flavored crackers.