UDS lid/temp question

smokingj

Full Fledged Farker
Got a question and was hoping one of the guru's/sages on here can help me out.
On my UDS I have both a flat lid and a Weber kettle lid. I have a hard time keeping temps stable when I use my flat lid, but with the Weber I get them to dial in and stay there with little to no problems.
Is it safe to assume that the dome shape of the Weber creates a better 'draft' for the intake/exhaust than the flat.
I know some will say to stick with the Weber then, which I plan to do. Just would like to know why so I can understand the UDS a little better.

I don't know. I have flat lids on my two and don't have problems with temps. One with 6 1" holes and the other just the 2" bung hole. What specific problem are you experiencing? I would likely guess that it is just differences in the wind. The Weber lid you can face away from the wind. I don't know. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

I have flat lid never had any troubles and I have the 2 inch bung elaborate more on your problem maybe we can help!

Heres a photo of the flat lid:

302585_280747435281752_100000394941261_943640_370575881_n.jpg

and here she is with the Weber:

296609_280747711948391_100000394941261_943641_202183910_n.jpg

With the flat lid my temps jump all over the place and I have a hard time getting it to stabilize. But when I use the Weber I can get the temps dialed in and stabilized with virtually no problem. All I can think of is the dome is creating a better 'draft' than say the flats lid.

I have used both and not had any problems with either. I have had issues with the flat lid sealing well so it didn't leak air. Sometimes they get warped a little and don't fit real well. Setting a weight of some kind on the lid will usually fix that. If that is not it, I don't know.

Odd. Like I said, wind blowing across the top can be a real problem. I have a lot more holes in my one with the holes. Maybe that helps create more draft and steady draft. You could try adding more holes on the opposite side... I don't know, I'm far from a "guru". I would like a webber lid to try.

Is your flat lid not sealing properly?

A lil tweaked and it will fark with your temps.

Back