smoked duck recipes

smokehunter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i threw some duck breast on with my ribs during a football game several weeks ago. ate some after a couple of hours and they were good, then ate some late night after they had been on there for 7-8 hours and they were even better. kind of forgot about them, and figured they would would be way dry but they were darn good. typically when you just grill them you want them rare-med rare or they get a real strong flavor, but these almost turned to jerky and weren't strong at all.. any of you pros have any experience or tips with smoking duck? they would be much appreciated..

I'll bite.

I like to grill on cedar planks over hot coals.

Season the duck. Place on cedar plank & cook over hot coals for about 15 minutes. Finally, throw the duck away and eat the cedar plank. :mrgreen:

Farm raised duck...you gotta use a rack...sooo much fat...
Wild duck ( the best!)...Use the smaller birds..(bluebills, ringnecks, buffleheads, etc.)
Clean 'em..leave the skin on...brine 'em..about half an hour...Dry 'em...one hour...
Smoke 'em...150--15 min..200...1 hour...325 'till done...(another maybe 45 min.?)
Get then hot, but not over done..just like any poultry..
Do 'em whole, and just rip 'em apart...some things require the barbaric approach.
Is'nt that why we're Here?

I prefer to cook duck at a high heat over the grill with a fat pan.

The few times I've experimented low and slow have always ended with disapointment.

I did one for Christmas on the ProQ but placed the water pan lined with foil and filled with sand on the second grate rather than at the bottom. I wanted it to cook a little faster in the smoke so it would render the fat quicker.

I poked several holes in the bottom so the fat would drain rather then sit inside the cavity. Seasoned the inside and filled with tangerines, garlic and onion.

2rnu1k7.jpg

zx9opv.jpg

That looks good, and I appreciate you showing that. I have been wanting to do a duck, but just wasn't sure. That pic convinced me. They'll be on sale soon, so I guess it's time o give it shot.

You are welcome. One of the first things I did was a duck and it turned out great but now I'm much better at it. I do them a about that same way I would a chicken but with the sand pan higher I was able to get enough heat in the bird to start the fat running into the sand yet keep it moist and pinkish in the breast.

Back