BBQ comp grill requirements?

N

nralover

What type of grill do you need to get into comps? I have been thinking of trying to compete, but I am starting at square one...

Hey there - and welcome -

You really don't need much at all - I compete using a Weber Smoky Mountain, a drum smoker and a Weber kettle. Honestly, I could replace the WSM with another drum.

Some have huge custom trailer mounted smokers that are works of art . . .

it all depends on how much good will you've built up with your wife over the years -

(just kidding) (well, kinda just kidding) (sorta) (not really)

Hey there - and welcome -

You really don't need much at all - I compete using a Weber Smoky Mountain, a drum smoker and a Weber kettle. Honestly, I could replace the WSM with another drum.

Some have huge custom trailer mounted smokers that are works of art . . .

it all depends on how much good will you've built up with your wife over the years -

(just kidding) (well, kinda just kidding) (sorta) (not really)

Hilarious:) I am lucky in that my wife doesn't much care as long as I can drum up the money. I have a 22 inch kettle, so i guess that is a start.

Your 22-inch kettle is a good start -- we know plenty of teams who cook chicken on a kettle by choice!

Next, you'll need something for your long meats -- the lowest-dollar options are UDS or WSMs, both do quite well and are easy to transport. We cook on 4 WSMs.

Past that, your wallet calls the shots, and your desire for sleep.

As long as it isn't gas or electric, you should be good.

:cool::twisted: There are actually competitions where gas and/or electric cookers are welcome. Not KCBS or FBA, mind you, but I know you can run what you brung at Douglas, GA. You just have to declare what you are using when you declare what you are cooking!!

Most folks start with what they have or can get inexpensively. WSM is s good choice. Tim and I actually started with his Bandera. We soon moved to the Bandera and WSM, then to my Kingfisher, then he moved on with his FEC100.

It's a disease. Welcome to the dark side. :-D

Tons of choices from under a couple of hundred to several thousand $$$'s.
Go to a comp and look around and ask questions.
And say hello to the Bottle Rockets for me.

The cook and the recipes mean a lot more than the cooker, but for a beginner I highly recommend two smokers -- one to do the butts and brisket and one for the chicken and ribs.

Nralover, as a picture is worth a thousand words, I suggest going to see a competition in your area. If you can, get there EARLY Saturday morning and watch carefully through around 2pm. You'll learn a lot and get some idea of what folks are using to compete with. For most competitions you can compete with very small equipment. I've RGC'd a few smaller comps with nothing more that 2 22" webers and a Brinkmann Stillwater (very similar to today's Yoders). Some are effective with nothing more than a couple UDS's. If you're at a good sized comp, you may see these plus everything all the way up to very expensive smokers. Also learn the types of comps you'd like to compete. By this I mean that different sanctioning bodies want you to cook different meats and varying quantities of the meats, which may or may not have some bearing on what you use/choose/buy.

Welcome to our sickness! :)

:cool::twisted: There are actually competitions where gas and/or electric cookers are welcome. Not KCBS or FBA, mind you, but I know you can run what you brung at Douglas, GA. You just have to declare what you are using when you declare what you are cooking!!

Most folks start with what they have or can get inexpensively. WSM is s good choice. Tim and I actually started with his Bandera. We soon moved to the Bandera and WSM, then to my Kingfisher, then he moved on with his FEC100.

It's a disease. Welcome to the dark side. :-D

How right you are Chad, Kell runs a real nice event. It has moved to Waycross GA. and I help Kell at that event and yes you can cook with Gas, Electric, or others. He also has qualifier events in 4 corners of the USA. You will have to contact him for the other 3. We run the N/E event
and have had a great turn out with our GC winning a seat in Waycross GA along with cash and prizes

Lake Dogs has a great Idea. Go to an event. Call the promoter and tell him you'll help him Fri, Sat an Sun the teams will take you under the wing who knows maybe you'll cook with a team for a few years to learn the game

Welcome, and enjoy your new addiction,We do

Go to a competition check out what they are using.

Tons of choices from under a couple of hundred to several thousand $$$'s.
Go to a comp and look around and ask questions.
And say hello to the Bottle Rockets for me.

You know the Bottle Rockets? Very cool:) We have more good music around here than folks realize...

I'd start with your grill (great for chicken)...then add a couple of WSM's or UDS's for your ribs and big meats (pork butts and briskets)...good luck! :thumb:

We just left the Smoke on the square comp. in Franklin, In. I thought we would see a lot of big hi- dollar smokers, but no we didn't see to many at all. one big stumps, a couple of little stumps, everything else was what you would see in a backyard. Makes me think I could do one of these comps.:becky:

We just left the Smoke on the square comp. in Franklin, In. I thought we would see a lot of big hi- dollar smokers, but no we didn't see to many at all. one big stumps, a couple of little stumps, everything else was what you would see in a backyard. Makes me think I could do one of these comps.:becky:

You absolutely can. Just be prepared to have the time of your life. You will meet some of the best people in the world and have the most fun you have had in years. I highly recommend it!:becky:

You know the Bottle Rockets? Very cool:) We have more good music around here than folks realize...

Been a fan since "The Brooklyn Side"
Good luck with the search for the cooker. As you can already see, it's a heck of good time.

BINGO!!! having fun is what it's all about.
I have a home built trailer cooker but mostly compete on ProQ's and a Weber grill. This weekend the trailer cooker will be there kicking out food for the crowd but all the comp meats will be done in ProQ's and a ceramic.

Back