I've had it airing out for the last couple days and it's completely dry inside but it does look like I'm going to have to cut the lid.

cool,thanks I can start out with those and see what i get.Seems I want to go up in temp ,not have to try to bring it down right?so less air first and open as needed...
Better to catch on way up for sure.

I've had it airing out for the last couple days and it's completely dry inside but it does look like I'm going to have to cut the lid.
Best of luck. Be careful !
LP387-1.jpg

LP387-2.jpg

LP387-3.jpg

Wash it out with some laundry detergent first and you should be fine.

Newbie here. I just read the entire thread twice. I want to thank everyone here for the information and pictures. I have 2 drums. I farked the first one up along with a wally world uniflame worthless piece of junk. Please don't close the thread out. It is a right of passage, and one of the best reads I have ever had. And I think the bottle opener IS necessary, even if you don't drink beer or bottled pop. I am not sure if it is a balance thing, a good luck thing, or a bling thing, but I am CONVINCED it is needed. By the way hello all!

Weber lid question

Would a Weber 18,5" lid fit perfect on the lip of a barrel with an outer diameter of 18,89" or does it need modification?
The 22,5" Weber lid on my UDS fitted perfectly as if it was made for it.

Thank you Meat Burner, I am going to drill the intake holes tomorrow. And burn it out Labor Day. I figure I have a better chance if everyone else is smoking and grilling at the same time. As luck would have it, I live about 1 mile from the fire station. I wonder If I stand next to it with a weenie on a BBQ fork they would fall for it. I will post pictures, cuz I know without pictures, it didn't happen!

First of all I want to say hi! I am new here. I was thinking about using a modified turkey fryer basket, for a charcoal grate and basket. What do you think? With a little adaptation, I think it might work. The dimensions on the basket are 13" high by 11 1/2" diameter. With coal grate, that would leave me with 10" high by 11 1/2" diameter. That is a volume of approx 1038cu. inches. I see that most everyone's basket and grate comes out to a volume of approx 800cu. inches. I should have plenty of room and then some.

3.14pi x (rad. x rad. = rad. sq.) x Height = Volume cu. inches

3.14pi x (rad 5 3/4" x rad 5 3/4" = 33.0625" rad. sq.) x 10"H = Volume 1038.163cu. inches

I hope I am not over thinking this. I have a tendency of doing that.:lol:

Would a Weber 18,5" lid fit perfect on the lip of a barrel with an outer diameter of 18,89" or does it need modification?
The 22,5" Weber lid on my UDS fitted perfectly as if it was made for it.

Allready found the answer.
The specs of my drum:eek:uter diameter=18.89",height=29.5",gallon=?
What should the space between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the food grate be?
And the diameter/height of the charcoal basket and air intake(0,7")?
Did some research on mini UDS' but the ones I found had smaller barrels and Weber (Smokey Joe) lids.
Thanks!

Probably a 30 gallon drum. Here is one I started making. Kinda lost interest.
IMG_3117.jpg

Thanks but do you have any answers on my questions above?
I would appreciate it,I'm kinda stuck in the build right now cause I don't have the right specs.

Thing there are no specs. I would put a grill at top, decide what is sufficient space for what you want to cook and put a grate that distance below top grate. Everyone is different and most important is to learn to cook with what you have. If you are trying to build a small UDS then proportion it down. If you are trying to emulate a WSM then get those measurments.

First of all I want to say hi! I am new here. I was thinking about using a modified turkey fryer basket, for a charcoal grate and basket. What do you think? With a little adaptation, I think it might work. The dimensions on the basket are 13" high by 11 1/2" diameter. With coal grate, that would leave me with 10" high by 11 1/2" diameter. That is a volume of approx 1038cu. inches. I see that most everyone's basket and grate comes out to a volume of approx 800cu. inches. I should have plenty of room and then some.

3.14pi x (rad. x rad. = rad. sq.) x Height = Volume cu. inches

3.14pi x (rad 5 3/4" x rad 5 3/4" = 33.0625" rad. sq.) x 10"H = Volume 1038.163cu. inches

I hope I am not over thinking this. I have a tendency of doing that.:lol:

I was really caught up on volume in the beginning too but now I know it really isn't a big deal. I used a kettle charcoal grate 17" diameter and expanded metal to make the height 6" high. That holds more charcoal than I will ever need. Next one will definitely be smaller!

FireBox.JPG

The only problem you might run into with a charcoal basket 13" high is that it is bringing the fire closer to your food. But you will never know unless you try it so put it in there fire it up and post some pron.

@Norco:
Cool!
It's gonna be a small UDS not like the pic you posted above.
I'm gonna make it the same as the big one,Weber lid,3 air intakes with one ball valve.
Thanks!

ok,not all magnets will work on them.lol.For the intakes that is.the ones i tried just fell off and broke apart!?I had some wood in,trying to burn out the bottom part of the liner.Is there a certain type of magnet to use?or was it just too hot?wasint that big a fire at the time.

Maiden voyage for UDS #2. One small pork butt,sweet sausage and some dry rubbed wings to be dressed with a citrus bbq sauce and tightened up on the kettle later.
Picture138-1.jpg

campdaywiththegirls.jpg

First time out for mine.

After chasing my tail temperature wise on the seasoning run, I took out the intake riser pipe and slapped a ball valve out the side, and guess what? Steady as a rock at 245-250.

One bacon covered butt, and a sadly small number of ABTs(the only decent looking japs at the store at the time)

Attachments

• UDS-2.jpg
    UDS-2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • UDS-3.JPG
    UDS-3.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,010
Back