• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turducken idea/question

Yoel Keren

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Here in Israel, we're all gearing up for Passover next week and I'll be making my first attempt at Turducken.

I've gotten pretty good at deboning and stuffing birds. I started with chickens, then moved up to duck stuffed with chicken and now I'm ready to go all the way.

I had an idea though. In order to speed up my trip to 165 internal, improve the texture of the skin, and render off some of that duck fat, I thought about searing the chicken and duck on the grill before assembling the Turducken.

Anybody see any potential drawbacks/problems with this?

I'm not a pro but I don't see anything wrong as long as you just sear it and don't cook it too long...don't want it to dry out while baking. Sounds great. Be sure to post pics.

Here in Israel, we're all gearing up for Passover next week and I'll be making my first attempt at Turducken.

I've gotten pretty good at deboning and stuffing birds. I started with chickens, then moved up to duck stuffed with chicken and now I'm ready to go all the way.

I had an idea though. In order to speed up my trip to 165 internal, improve the texture of the skin, and render off some of that duck fat, I thought about searing the chicken and duck on the grill before assembling the Turducken.

Are you leaving the skin on the chicken and the duck? If so you may consider taking the skin off of the smaller birds, (along with excess duck fat) and then season them well with olive oil and your favorite rub! Then using twine or pins, close up the turkey skin around the three meats.
Rub the exterior with olive oil, kosher salt and maybe some garlic, the salt and oil, (mayonnaise in place of oil works very well for this) will help to give you a crispy outer skin.
Using a leave in thermometer (preferably a digital one), smoke your bird at about 250 degrees until your thermometer is reading about 162 IT and then pull it off to rest. The temp should carry over about three more degrees while resting giving you a perfectly cooked bird,... or birds! LOL!:-D

I did the same thing, seared the chicken and duck fat side down. It came out great.

Back