My results from "cooking a brisket till it jiggles using parchment/butcher paper instead of foil" and what I learned...

Thanks for the report. :thumb: I've been to Franklin's in Austin and that experience has become my reference point and target. I do Salt/Pepper only, but don't do foil or paper - I think because I'm too lazy and I'm getting dang tasty results.

Thanks for the answer above on how you wrap. That was helpful. Can you clarify:
1) For checking doneness, did you just do it by feel of pressing on the brisket? Press looking for wobbling? Or did you use a probe looking for resistance?

I did a couple of things. I pressed on the paper with my finger until I felt it meet resistance and then I pushed a little harder at that point to feel if the meat would give (jiggle) or if it was still pretty firm on the surface. Once I felt that it was giving a little, I carefully inserted my thermapen/probe at an angle until I felt it push into the meat. I did that in a few places to make sure I wasn't missing the meat or going through it.

2) If probing, are you unwrapping, probing through the paper or what? Same with the temp readings, though the paper? And do you have enough skill to probe the top without going through the bottom paper/foil? I don't.

No unwrapping, going through the paper. What I did was I took the probe and placed it at an angle on the out side of the paper as a visual of how I was going to probe it, and how deep it would need to go. I then placed my thumb on the probe so I knew how far it would have to go in, to both make sure it was in the meat, and to also make sure it wasn't going to punch through the bottom. I then, carefully, inserted the probe at that angle and to that depth. I also went right through the middle of the paper on the point end parallel with the meat so I knew I was right in the middle of the point.

I hope that answered your questions.

I don't think you'll even notice the garlic up front at all. It will fade into the back ground and play a supporting role as long as you're not heavy handed witht he rub. The pepper will likely be the flavor that shines through the most with the salt following. At least, that's how mine tasted. Yes, there is a difference between granulated garlic and powdered. I prefer and always use granulated garlic. But garlic isn't a requirement by any means. The true Texas style is straight up salt and pepper for the most part. But, I like what garlic brings to the table in rubs. Good luck with the cook!
Now I can't await the weekend to arrive, the Q is scheduled for Sunday. The only missing part is the parchment, which I will not be able to get here, so either I can find some kind of butcher's paper, or I'll have to stick to aluminum foil instead.

Now I can't await the weekend to arrive, the Q is scheduled for Sunday. The only missing part is the parchment, which I will not be able to get here, so either I can find some kind of butcher's paper, or I'll have to stick to aluminum foil instead.

If you have to use foil, your times and texture will change a bit. But if you can find butcher paper, that would be my first choice. A local butcher or meat market should be willing to give you a few good sized pieces in exchange for some of the left over results I would imagine.

But one thing I really liked about using the paper versus the foil is that it seemed to give the benefit of foil, with out making the bark of the meat soft while keeping it tender.

Very good info and thanks for the pics too, gonna have to find some butcher or parchment paper, Sams doesnt sell it down here. Gotta try that this weekend though.

Very good info and thanks for the pics too, gonna have to find some butcher or parchment paper, Sams doesnt sell it down here. Gotta try that this weekend though.

You can get parchment paper at most any grocery store. If you have a local butcher or meat market that uses butcher paper, ask them if you can have a couple of pieces big enough to wrap a brisket. But, I plan on picking up a roll of actual butcher paper from a food service supply company in a couple of weeks when I'm down, near where it is.

Last edited:
Ive got one for you, Im having a banquet for the softball team this weekend and I feel completely flustered about brisket. got a nighttrain brisket going right now, but is the difference between foil and paper that much that I shouldnt try it this weekend on a pair of packers or since Im not confident anyways, run with it and give her a shot?

Ive got one for you, Im having a banquet for the softball team this weekend and I feel completely flustered about brisket. got a nighttrain brisket going right now, but is the difference between foil and paper that much that I shouldnt try it this weekend on a pair of packers or since Im not confident anyways, run with it and give her a shot?

Nope, I would go for it. The one I did took just as much time to do using paper as it does foil this last weekend. The big thing I would recommend is being careful to make sure you're probing the meat if using paper. I did find it more difficult to make sure I was hitting the meat than it is using foil.

Carolina Q, thanks so much for the post and all the details. Gonna try the paper on my next brisket cook, for sure!

alright man, Ill do one of them in butcher paper and the other foiled. hopefully this isnt just a 20 dollar roll of coloring paper that I buy for the niece

alright man, Ill do one of them in butcher paper and the other foiled. hopefully this isnt just a 20 dollar roll of coloring paper that I buy for the niece

I think that the kind you buy for drawing on and such is thinner than real butcher paper. I believe that the stuff they sell in craft stores that is equal or close to butcher paper is known as "banner" paper.

I think that the kind you buy for drawing on and such is thinner than real butcher paper. I believe that the stuff they sell in craft stores that is equal or close to butcher paper is known as "banner" paper.

Careful here - a lot of utility papers sold in rolls like craft paper use petroleum release agents.

I purposely sought out butcher paper at a local food supply place to make sure it was food safe paper. If you have a Sams or Costco Business then you are golden. We have several other smaller restaurant places out here that sell the stuff too. I am a little to leary of paper production to trust any source for cooking.

naw, I was at my sams yesterday and saw the roll of 1000' of butcher paper. I was just joking that if it sucks, its going to be used for coloring paper when lil ones come over.

does anyone actually use butcher paper in the age of foodsavers?

Back