Used utility trailer prices

K

kcquer

Been looking for a trailer to haul my cookers around on. Found one today, not sure if its a deal worth making or not.

Trailer is 5x8 with full ramp. Already has sides extended (fairly heavy duty material on the extensions) which is a must for hauling the Fast Eddy as its very top heavy.

Asking price is $650, I've seen much smaller, lighter weight new models for $500. Seems like an ok price, but I don't know squat about trailers so maybe it's too much for used.

Opinions?

Scott,

I got a new 6 x 12 with full ramp last year hear for $750. Sides are 14" off the deck. It has full size road tires I must tell you do not ever let someone tell you that the smaller one are fine, you'll never find one at noon on a Sunday. Wood deck or solid metal is also a must.

Just my .02

Re: RE: Used utility trailer prices

Trout_man22 said:
Scott,

I got a new 6 x 12 with full ramp last year hear for $750. Sides are 14" off the deck. It has full size road tires I must tell you do not ever let someone tell you that the smaller one are fine, you'll never find one at noon on a Sunday. Wood deck or solid metal is also a must.

Just my .02
Scott,
I second all of that.

Some local prices I have been involved with:
5X12 with drop ramp, single axle, 3000lb- $705 here new.
4X8 with tilt trailer bed-single axle- 2000lb--$300 used but like new.
7X14 HD flatbed equipment hauler, 6" frame, dual axle with elec. brakes on one axle, 10,000 lb, used in fair condition (needs paint and tires)--$900.

Watch the tires. Trailer tires are seldom worn out. After 5+ years, they will look great but fail due to rotting (just like RV tires).

Sounds like the one you found is about right depending on your local market and its condition.

Good luck shopping.

TIM

RE: Re: RE: Used utility trailer prices

I got a new 6 x 12 with full ramp last year hear for $750.
These start at $1200 new here, $1700 for diamond plate deck.

The one I'm looking at has 30" high sides already on it, which would probably add 300-500 to the price of a new one if I have to have it done. It also has 14 or 15" tires and looks to have more than adequate wt capacity for anything I'd want it for.

Bank opens in 5 mins. I'm off to do the deal.

Bank opens in 5 mins. I'm off to do the deal.
Well maybe not, just had the oh-crap thought of where to store the thing? I have an appt later this morning, gonna ponder on it until that's over, if I can figure out how to store it I'll deal with it then.

when i bought mine, a 6x12 with full ramp and 14inch walls, it was 1400. Raising the walls to 40 inchs with xpnded steel was about 500 in materials. Sounds like u got a deal there.

Watch the diamond plate deck. slippery when wet with drippy ribs and leaking foil. :twisted: At competitions, at the end of the day, the bottom of my shoes are all greased up from kitchen area, wash tub area, and pit area. Getting up the ramp sometimes is comical as you step up and slide down. Having a steel deck would be like an ice rink.

It also has 14 or 15" tires and looks to have more than adequate wt capacity for anything I'd want it for
My grandfather had a 14' trailer with 8 ply tires on it. I think the trailer itself would break before you could overload the tires.

Watch the diamond plate deck.
That was just a comparison of new pricing in the area. The used one I'm pondering has a wood deck, in decent shape.
The sidewall extensions are heavy round tubing (2-2 1/2") with 2x6 in between.
I've decided its a deal, but not if I have to rent space to store the thing.

Probably gonna pass in lieu of having a deck built on the back of the camper to hold the FE for comps. For the rare occasion I need to haul cooker(s) without the camper I can rent a trailer for $25 per day. That's a lot of days for $650.

That's what I'm going to do for awhile anyway... rent a trailer from UHaul when I need it. Once a month for a competition season won't kill me.

Trailers pretty cheap east of Dallas. There will be bread and water waiting for you when you get here.

watch te Per day cost.

u need it for 4 days.

one or 2 days to pack, 2 to compete, and one to unpack.

We rent 5x10s and they we not enuf.. used to run about 250 each time. So in 3 comps, u paid for it. Now storing it.. thats another issue. Use it for a planter and fill it wih begonias during the off season. :mrgreen:

Scott, one way to solve the storing issue is to find a friend that you can trust that will store it at his house. In exchange, he gets to use it and or some good BBQ. Just a thought.

Scott, one way to solve the storing issue is to find a friend that you can trust that will store it at his house. In exchange, he gets to use it and or some good BBQ. Just a thought.
And a good one too. I want to have a platform built, sorta like an excess cargo carrier to go on the back of the camper to haul the FE for comp purposes. Here's a link to one similar to what I'm wanting to do.

http://forum.cookshack.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000055

There's pics of a better model but I'm having trouble finding them.

The trailer was just for the rare occasion that the cookers go mobile without the 5th wheel. Not very often but one of those occasions is coming up next week so it seemed like a priority. Would be nice to have it available but a WSM and a Kettle sounds like a much more fun expenditure of my Q funds :D

I almost bought a small trailer several years ago and I regret it almost every day.

Back