What type of wood is this?

Smokin Ribs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I havent learned my tree barks yet. Can anyone tell me what kind of wood these 2 trees are.

I scored a bunch of both but dont know if they are ok to cook with.

Last edited:
The first looks like fir to me. The second looks like oak. I could be way off, though. I'm no expert.

It can be very tough by bark alone. A leaf or two would really help.

Top Log: It *could* be hickory. Split it. If it's "stringy" and hard to split, it's got a better chance of being hickory. Some fir trees have similar bark. Hickory = great; fir = not.

Bottom Log: Lots of different trees have bark like this when they're young, from small hickory trees to small poplar trees. To me, right off, it looks like it's probably a tulip poplar tree. NO GOOD.

I've had back luck smokin' with "mystery wood".

The top one looks like a pine of some sort, I believe I actually see pine needles dug into it. Don't use it.

Hickory would be best guess on the bottom one.

first look like a hickory second looks like a maple, but the first could also be some type of oak

first one looks like some kind of Ash, second is definitly red oak.

The first looks like oak whether it is Live, Water, Red, or White I don't know but it looks like Live Oak bark to me. (Ash is very similar so that could be ash too but I don't know)

The second looks like a fruit wood to me.

I don't see pine at all in either of those.

The top one definitely looks like a fir of some sort and the bottom may be Poplar...

Wow, I guess we have a hung jury on this one. Leaves or (shudder) needles would be very helpful.

Sorry no leaves or needles. Got them from a place in the county where tree trimming businesses unload.

Good looking firepit wood! Bag smoking with it if nobody recognizes it.

The first one does look like some type of fir or pine.

But the second one, that chunk on the ground behind it looks a lot like hickory to me.

Its definetly not pine. I know pine. The chunk on the ground in the second pic is the same piece from the first pic. I think im just gonna burn in my fire pit for campfires

The one on top even looks like pecan. I have no clue about the bottom one, but if they are fresh cut, you will smell the pine and even see sap oozinig out from the cut line. Even if you can't cook with it, if it's free, I'd stock up and use in in the fire pir or fireplace. Can't beat free for heating wood.

Top piece red oak
bottom birch, pine, hell could be lots

Maple bark
MapleRed_Bark1_265_0908_ponkapog_046(2).jpg

1st pic is oak, might be northern red oak which is native to Indiana.
2nd pic might be oak or maple, both can have smooth bark when young trees or on branches.
Check the first one by splitting it, if it is red oak it will have a tight grain with a definite reddish color.
To tell if the other is maple check the heartwood, it will be brown.
Unless the tree has very distinctive bark like black cherry or white birch it is often difficult to determine the species without a leaf to help.
Red Maple split-
redmapleccarter2.jpg

Red Oak pieces-
DSC01718.jpg

Last edited:
Back