When you want something different....

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I want to smoke something tomorrow, but I'm not in the mood for the classics. I want something that qualifies as comfort food. I'm thinking of a meatloaf made from ground beef and ground pork. But, I'm not committed.

I just want to make something other than the traditional brisket, butt or ribs.

I am open to suggestions, as long as I can get it by tomorrow.

CD

Nice turkey breast smoked then fire up the Egg and grill some hobo potatoes with a side of Aspragrus. Or, maybe take a pork loin, jelly roll it and stuff it with your favorate filling and tie it up and smoke that.

Smoke a chuckie and make chili.
Smoked meatloaf is good.
Smoke a chicken and make chicken and dumplings.

A whole chicken is always good and inexpensive.

smoke up that meat loaf, throw on some hard boiled eggs (still in the shell) take the eggs after they are cooled and make a potato salad with it.

Look up Moose's posts - he's always doing interesting stuff. If you're feeling really adventurous, check out Capazzoli's posts. Obviously, there are a lot of other folks doing interesting things as well, these are just the first 2 that came to mind.

That smoked meatloaf sound really good, put a couple of hard boiled egg inside the loaf before smoking for a surprise!

The meatloaf does sound good. I'm trying Cowgirl's turkey pastrami with beer bread tomorrow think I'll do the meatloaf too.

One of my neighbors is a really nice woman who works for a major evangelist, with lots of books and a radio show. She loves my BBQ, and she is a hoot to talk to, even though we are way different.

I am thinking of doing a meat loaf cook with her. I think she would enjoy an afternoon of cooking, just as much as I do.

I love to think of food as a way to bring people of varied backgrounds together. And, she really is a genuinely nice person.

So, beef and pork meatloaf is in first place.

As of right now, a spatchcocked chicken is in second place.

CD

I have smoked several meatloafs.
I Googled and found a recipe that uses small pieces of celery and carrots along with chopped onions ect.
Gotta say they turned out ..........outstanding was my wife's words.
Recipe said the veggies should be sauteed, I said not, loved the slight crunch of the raw veggies for texture.
Throw on some sausage links as snacks for the cook or something else you enjoy.
Let us know what you cooked but meat smoked is the bomb in our family.
Heck do a plain fatty or some moinks while your doing the loafs.
Ya gotta have some snacks to feed the cooks.
A can of Spam sliced, smoked and glazed w/bbq sauce is also a great snack.

Do the meatloaf AND chicken halves THEN smoke some fruit quarters like apples and peaches then throw them into some bluebell vanilla ice cream :thumb:

Also: the meatloaf and chicken is great reheated

One of my favorite things to do is a smoked leg of lamb on the grill. Butterfly and marinate the leg in white wine, garlic, oregano, and lemon. Get a medium-low heat going on the grill, add some chunks of wood. And then cook it until medium-rare (usually about 45 minutes).

You can do some potatoes along with it. I usually slice them up and season them and then wrap them in a pouch made of out foil. Put them on the grill until tender.

A little late;BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We at the Oldschool like a smoked 'Sweet and Sour Meatloaf':clap2:
Just go with your favorite Meatloaf recipe, (add Sugar and Vinegar in equal parts) to some ketchup, then add to meat,mix about half to meat and reserve and use as the Gravy(add this appox. half may through,just poured on top) and cook in smoker until IMT is 165*F and grate level heat at 220*F. Make it as sweet or sour as you want.
Way too simple and pretty farkin good too:thumb:
A good departure from the normal.That's why I recomend to,

Last edited:
I love meatloaf too.... or smoked lasagna... or smoked scalloped tatoes with ham.. good comfort food. :-D

Back