• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wildomar boxes - Let me have it! (pics)

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok here are our boxes from the first day of competition at Wildomar:

DSC06306.JPG

DSC06310.JPG

DSC06312.JPG

DSC06315.JPG

And here are our boxes from the second day of competition:

DSC06335.JPG

DSC06336.JPG

DSC06339.JPG

DSC06341.JPG

We're always trying to learn and we need help! How can we make these boxes better? Speak up! I can take it!

Mista

What were the scores? Day one looks good. Day 2, the brisket looks cut kind of funny there in front. Did you use an electric knife on it? I would have also picked off the little pieces that look like they might be blues hog seeds.

On both I would spread the pork around or add more to the box Too much green and I personally don't care for that layout.

Day 2 chicken looks like there might be a glop or two of sauce that needs brushed out. Could be a little more uniform.

Those drums came out nice.

I think they both look great mista!. The second day looks better than the first though IMO. I like the chicken legs in day 1 and the thighs in day 2 but I would question, why the change?
The ribs in day 2 look better than day 1. Probably because of the angle from one rack to the next in the first pic. I try to line them up if I can.
I think the pork itself looks good but I don't care for the way it's arranged in the box. Just a personal thing.
Both the briskets look great, however, I didn't see knife cuts on the front piece in 2nd pic.
Overall, I wouldn't be afraid to turn in any of these boxes. Well, maybe the pork.

Mista-

Day 1 Chicken Legs reminded me of the boxes I used to turn in w/legs. Hopefully they did well if you got judges that appreciate legs... Day 2 looks good too but like most other thighs.

Day 1 Brisket looks outstanding, noticeably better in color,texture than day 2

The Pork strands look unappetizing on both days

Day 2 ribs look more appealing to me.

Day 1 Day 2

Chicken 42 11

Ribs 31 30

Pork 8 21

Brisket 22 12

On day 1 I got a comment card on my chicken legs that said, "Too Spicy. Destroyed my taste buds for the next contestant." That judge gave me a 969. Another judge gave me a 744. No comment card. Punk ass.

Love the look of chicken both days. Loved the look of the ribs both days. I really
liked the first day's brisket, but not quite as great the 2nd day. The pork, and this
may be a regional thing, didnt do it for me. I would've hoped for quiet a bit more
pork in the box, and in chunks. Regarding the 744 in chicken? I dont know about
the taste, but that's not a 7 on presentation; no way, no how! Those are BEAUTIFUL.

Something I noticed, are all of them sitting up fairly high in the box? Meaning, will
closing the lid smush and smudge them? Particularly the ribs, chickens, and the
first day's brisket.

It did at first so we pushed them lower into the parsley. Judges should disregard the smudges anyway, right?

I really thought the 2nd days ribs tasted amazing and were a vast improvement over day 1. Judges didn't agree.

I really thought the 2nd days ribs tasted amazing and were a vast improvement over day 1. Judges didn't agree.

That always happens. Just when you think you have a great product..POW...down you go. By the time the end of the weekend or even 2nd day, your taste buds are shot so it's hard to get a true flavor/taste.

Obviously i can't score taste or tenderness, no matter how much I want to :-D...

But for appearance:

Day 1 chicken - 9. Nice color, nice layout, a very neat box.

Day 1 ribs - 9. The bids look great. the layout is a little sloppy, but not enough that i would knock it down.

Day 1 pork - 8. The chunks are sloppy (strings of meat on them, and the garnish is too much.

Day 1 brisket - 7 or 8. The slices curved at the end break up the box and the slices aren't uniform in thickness.

Day 2 chicken - 8 or 9. There is too much garnish on the outside. maybe space the thighs farther apart. also, the thigh on the lower left isn't as uniform as the others.

Day 2 ribs - 8. The ribs looks great but you need more ribs in the box to fill it out.

Day 2 pork - 6 or 7. Way too much greens, not enough meat. The meat is lost in the sea of green.

Day 2 brisket - 8. This brisket is much better than day 1 but the arrangement needs work. Space the slices evenly and it would look much better Also, pick the seeds, etc. off of the face of the front slice.

I am pretty sure at this point that I do not want Ron_L judging my work.

I like them all, I can see that the ribs on day two looked a lot more consistent and great color. If you could have gotten 2 more identical in there, maybe it would be better.

I really don't like the strips of pork, I much prefer chunky pork, the longer strips just gives me the sense they will be stringy. I realize that might change once I eat them.

The brisket from day one knocks my socks off, it looks so good. The second days brisket is good, but, just not as good as day one. The curve would not bother me, but, I am not a judge. The box just looks great to me, I would want to eat that brisket.

It did at first so we pushed them lower into the parsley. Judges should disregard the smudges anyway, right?

They ARE supposed to, on the box, but supposed to and do sometimes
aren't the same... However, if the sauce itself smudged on the piece
of meat (likely), they'll probably take off a little there. Otherwise,
seriously, the meats there were BEAUTIFUL.

The 1st day's brisket, unfortunately I would've scored it an 8 also,
even though to me it's as appetizing as it gets, there's a point there
for neatness of the presentation. But boy oh boy does that look like
a brisket I'd want to hit, hard and heavy!!!

Good lookin' stuff there Mista!!

Oh, on the great ribs that judges didnt think were as great: Many times
some of it is simply the luck of the table you land on. Some tables are
"good scoring tables", others aren't. Perhaps you just landed on a tough
table. Dont read too much in to it (which is TOUGH, I know).

Wish I could do that...

I think they ALL looked good. If I had to say one thing was the one rib box looks like it needs 2 more ribs to fill it out...
With out giving up your secrets, what are you using as the base for the greens in the turn in box. It looks realy sturdy..

I liked the pork boxes. It looked very moist too me.... Great job!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

OK Mista, you asked for it.

Chicken, both look great, only thing that I saw was the bottom right leg was lighter in color then the others. other than that, I licked the screen.

Ribs, day 2 looked better but both are average at best. " ribs, our nemisis right now so who am I to judge"

Pork. Day 1 looks sloppy to me, and day 2 reminds me that I got to let our stupid lap dog out. "Sorry man" I bet it taste great. The slices from day 2 looked awesome to me. Its the cigars, not good.

Brisket. Day one looks good and beefy. Looks like the slices were about to fall apart, but looks real tasty. Day 2- The show piece should have been covered up "Knife marks" and a better cut put in the front. Doesnt look near as good as #1 to me but both entries were not straight and spaced out even, that will make your scores suffer. "SOME" Judges look for anything to mark entries down. "Some" of them are like home inspectors. They think that their job is to find something wrong IMHO..

Kudos for having the cajones to put these up for all to see. :thumb:
Piece out,
DP

It's funny that everyone liked day 2 pork better when day 1 placed higher. Everyone liked day 1 brisket but day 2 placed higher.

We can only judge appearance so I am with G$ with his question. One might look better but not taste as good.

Back