• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

When ribs become candy ?

• Thread starter Smokenstein & monster crew
  • Start date
S

Smokenstein & monster crew

Fairly new to this whole bbq thing, 3 contests in......
How, when or why..? Is it that some rib meat becomes almost hard like candy, not juicy soft meat, but its delicous....
Its comes off the bone with ease but has a gentle toughness to it....
How is that accomplished ?? Anyone know what i am talking about ?

Not sure but maybe its cause your rub. Sounds like the meat may be getting cured. Is the meat your talking about have a solid red color to it?

Its comes off the bone with ease but has a gentle toughness to it....
How is that accomplished ?? Anyone know what i am talking about ?

when you cook ribs there is a small window where ribs are done without falling off the bone. before the window. the ribs are tough - after they fall of the bone

I personally do not like it when that happens, and I've modified my process a bit to avoid it. The rub I used before had a lot of brown sugar in it, and it would create a reddish bark, but it also wasn't bite-through which is what I prefer. The meat was tender, but the bark would cause more of the meat to pull from the bone as the judge was sampling it.

I now have toned down the amount of sugar in the rub, and go a bit lighter on the seasoning as well. It apparently is working, because I never had a call in ribs prior to this season, and I now have placed in the top 10 in 80% of the contests I've competed in this year.

That's just my $.02

Kevin

i thought it had to do with length of cooking time...like i had did the usual 3 2 1 method and others similar, but i had cooked a set & left the warming on the coals on a side bbq with tin foil on it & bammo.... candy on a rib stick

love to hear more feedback on this subject.......

i think some commercial chains try to achieve this, & i am not talking layering sauce after sauce with sweet stuff, its the texture of the meat....cross between tender beef jerky & who knows ??

i think i know what you are talking about. kinda like the meat version of candied fruit. i was thinking about just packing a rack of ribs in brown sugar over night to try to get a conversion in the meat, like a sugar cure. maybe the same method of candieing fruit can be applied to meat.

i think i know what you are talking about. kinda like the meat version of candied fruit. i was thinking about just packing a rack of ribs in brown sugar over night to try to get a conversion in the meat, like a sugar cure. maybe the same method of candieing fruit can be applied to meat.

Something like that....yes.....like a candied beef jerky, but not curing..by cooking. Anyone,..... bueller...... bueller

does anyone know how long it takes(hours) or what to put on them ?
Any input is greatly appreciated

thats one funny video, love the al pacino voice...
thanks for the post

Back