• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help! My first UDS attempt

Ok I found an old post on here (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76639&page=3) that had a grill grate that I think will work for my big fat recovery drum. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ASH9O6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I paid nothing for it because I had Amazon reward points to cover it.

I also found another drum, this time a 55 food grade from a guy locally that I will pick up Saturday for 20 bucks. Im going to build 2 just because I can. Maybe start the Big Bertha and later on build out the 55. I had an idea to do a 2 story UDS with the bottom drum having a door and pretty much being the fire box. Then the top drum with racks and and maybe some polls for hanging. Any one ever seen this before?

IMAG0097.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I assume you welded a piece of flat stock around the perimeter? Also I have a chance to get a sheet of 1in expanded steel for 30 bucks. It seems 2 big for charcoal though, anyone got some thoughts on this? That being said I had an idea today for a charcoal basket, a weber little smokey. It has legs and a vent at the bottom and it's build to withstand heat from charcoal. Couldn't I just take the lid off and place it in the bottom of the smoker? Would it hold enough charcoal? They cost 30 bucks and that's what a grate and 2 pieces of expanded steel costs. What do you guys think?

It is flat stock welded around the edge. I guess the little smokey might work, only 1 way to find out. Not sure it will hold enough charcoal for a long cook. The baskets I make are using the charcoal rack from a 22.5 Weber with 9" tall expanded metal welded to it and 3" legs. It will hold 20 lbs of Kingsford charcoal.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zed
a weber little smokey. It has legs and a vent at the bottom and it's build to withstand heat from charcoal. Couldn't I just take the lid off and place it in the bottom of the smoker? Would it hold enough charcoal? They cost 30 bucks and that's what a grate and 2 pieces of expanded steel costs. What do you guys think?

I believe the bottom holes will fill up with ash and your fire/coals will go out. Enough coal for how many hrs/temp?
But give it a go.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zed
Forget the smoky joe unless you want to make a mini smoker. You will only get about 7-8hrs. before the ashes choke it out. Get the charcoal grate for a 22.5" Weber grill and some expanded metal. You may be able to find a cutoff piece at a metal fabricator for cheap. Make some clips from a wire coat hanger to attach the ends together and to the grate. Mine is 12" tall and have done 3 cooks of 8hrs.+ on one fill.

Attachments

• 100_1567.jpg
    100_1567.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 60
I've not come across any other threads or pics of one like this. I took a 20 lb propane tank and cut the top off. Then I layed out 3/4 inch holes every 1.5 inches with an alternating pattern. I cut the bottom out but left the original foot and dropped in a Weber little Smokey charcoal grate. This in total cost me 8 dollars. I got the old tank for free. It seems to burn wood like a champ. It measures 11.25 wide by 13 tall. I'm curious if anyone else has done this. I will add an ash pan and a handle tomorrow. What do you guy's think?

Attachments

• 20180317_200322b.jpg
    20180317_200322b.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 35
Ok so this is the finished product. I decided to use the top that I cut off as an ash pan. I had some threaded rod laying around and I cut three legs out of it. I welded them to the foot that I left on the bottom of the tank. Then I drilled three holes thought the soon to be ash pan and tack welded it to the rod. Then I added a handle from a old busted 5 gallon drum I had laying around. I really like how this turned out. Now I just hope it burns long enough for a good cook. If not then I guess I got a little portable cooker!

Attachments

• 20180318_173101c.jpg
    20180318_173101c.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 24
Back