• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got a weed burner last night

They are finally catching on. Loved mine and recently it broke but i'm not in a hurry to get another one since i got their electric start propane torch...that' thing is is waaaay nice and don't have to lug along the 20 gallon tank. It lights the charcoal fast and nice because it's so portable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

That thing is a beast though.

whats the difference (besides size) between that and say a bernzomatic plumbing torch?

E-Z Q:

A WSM loaded w/ lump, fired w/ a weed burner.

Quick starts. Few adjustments. No ash concerns. Multiple cooks.

Propane tank & burner on a hand truck for easy mobility.

Concentrate on beer.

whats the difference (besides size) between that and say a bernzomatic plumbing torch?

Probably about 4 extra inches of flame and lots of BTU's. It makes the benzo's look like a Bic lighter.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDfXkPRZ1H4"]Harbor Freight hand torch lighting charcoal - YouTube[/ame]

Plumbing torch will work fine. Those and keiths are more convenient/portable. They may take a few minutes, weed burner is almost instant.

How can you not get one? This might be my next purchase once my new smoker arrives. I have six weeks to figure out how I'm going to rationalize this.

Nothing like a weed-burner in one hand and a beer in the other when lighting your fire!

" Merry Christmas, charcoal basket was full" !!!

Just need a bathrobe, boots, cigar and furry flop-eared hat. The neighbors love that !!

I usually light my coals for a couple mins, throw the cooking grate on top of my fire basket handles and burn off any residue from last cook. Turn the flame thrower off, grab the grate and put the WSM together. Ready to go play with my meat...

Torch good, but....

Been awhile, but this post reached out for me.

I kettle Q with mesquite chunk charcoal. A propane torch is a must. But to actually get it completely ready, you need compressed air. By judiciously applying air to the mesquite, flames develop, and the heat is spread to adjoining chunks. While a dragon may impress, the ensuing "volcano" just may concern your neighbors a bit. You will have the roar and the large shower of sparks like a volcano. And a hot bed to begin grilling, to boot. Done at night, there will be no mistaking what you are up to, provided your neighbors know you are into real BBQ, and not just some nutsy neighbor working his volcano nursery.
Eye and face protection a must. For that matter, covering the body is a good idea, too. And don't forget to water the lawn...buildings...and neighboring stands of trees. Don't try this in the wind unless you are on Mars. Enjoy the "Q" show. Safely.

Cheers!

-smik1

Would one of those torches burn creosote off of my smoker (or just make it worse)?

(Or set it on fire?) :flame:

These will work well for those of you without the electric start

striker.jpg

The start of this thread just made weed burner stocks double!!

Any idea how many lightings you can get off one standard size bottle that fits the harbor freight lighter?

Got my lectric start at harbor today. Lowes had the gas. Time to light up!!!!

Been awhile, but this post reached out for me.

I kettle Q with mesquite chunk charcoal. A propane torch is a must. But to actually get it completely ready, you need compressed air. By judiciously applying air to the mesquite, flames develop, and the heat is spread to adjoining chunks. While a dragon may impress, the ensuing "volcano" just may concern your neighbors a bit. You will have the roar and the large shower of sparks like a volcano. And a hot bed to begin grilling, to boot. Done at night, there will be no mistaking what you are up to, provided your neighbors know you are into real BBQ, and not just some nutsy neighbor working his volcano nursery.
Eye and face protection a must. For that matter, covering the body is a good idea, too. And don't forget to water the lawn...buildings...and neighboring stands of trees. Don't try this in the wind unless you are on Mars. Enjoy the "Q" show. Safely.

Cheers!

-smik1

Grate Description,mesquite & air is crazy !!!..................
I have a burner, but even a simple unaided chimney can be fun..............

EndAug2012Wok040.jpg

Back