How much sauce?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hey y'all.....

Gotta cook 20 butts and 15 chickens (quartered) next weekend. How much sauce do you think? Plan to serve it on the side and don't know if everyone will want sauce or not.

Doing 2 different varieties of sauce and putting them in squeeze bottles.

2 gallons?

Thanks.

I usually plan on 1 gallon per 100 guests. How many folks are you planning to feed? 250 or so?

So they have a choice of bbq or chicken...not both, right?

Well it's easy to know how many people are going to get chicken (60). Twenty butts for the remaining 140 is a plenty (a gracious plenty)...even if you're serving 8oz portions.

Two gallons of sauce should be enough for just over 1oz per guest.

PS...Really like the new avatar :razz:

Agree with Cook. Unless those butts are really small, you will have plenty!

are you doing a vinegar based sauce?

i wsan't going to when i cooked for the homebrew club and i ended up making one and nobody even touched the regular bbq sauce.

good luck on the cook!!!

Planned on 140 lbs of raw pork butt at about 1/2 lb portions (planning on about 40-50% loss-got that info here) and an ave of 7 lb/ butt.

The customer's paying for all groceries, so I just don't want them to end up with TONS of leftovers.

Doing Blues Hog Original and Big Butz Cranberry. Let the customers taste 4 and that's what was picked.

Id be careful doing a 2 meat party for 200 and show up with 60 chicken quarters.

Y'all are starting to worry me now......(BUBBA).....

This isn't a true catering gig. I mean it is but I'm not a caterer. I offered my services as a cook as a charity auction item for my kids' school. The deal was, you buy the groceries and I'll bring the cookers and skills and BBQ for your event.

The customer wanted chicken and pulled pork. They really wanted pulled pork, but just wanted chicken for those who didn't like PP. When I started working out all the details with them (I know the folks who ended up hiring me pretty well) and they told me birds and butts I said, "OK, 50/50?" They collaborated (3 different families) and said 60/40, then they changed it to 70/30. I've confirmed TWICE that's what the want.

With the sauce, I cooked up some pulled pork (with the same rub I'll be ising for the cook) and gave each family a sample with 4 different sauces to choose from: BH original, BH Tenessee Red, Big Butz original and Big Butz Cranberry. There was a 3 way tie and BH TR didn't get ANY votes. Apparently they don't care for the vinegar stuff, which I was kind of suprised at.

They did tell me that they wanted 2 sauces, and told me to pick 2 of the 3 left (as long as one of them was the BH).

Either way, I'm just going to cook both the pork and chicken with rub and smoke and serve the sauces on the side.

I get what you're saying Bubba.......it's just not like I'll have unhappy customers no matter what happens (I mean as long as the meat's not crap). They ended up paying like $250 for this deal (plus groceries, which I estimate at around $500) I think $250 is a pretty good farkin deal for the time I'll have in it when it's all said and done.

If the guests arent expecting 2 meats then your good to go. You'll have plenty of pork and thats a good thing.

Good luck and have fun! :thumb:

BTW, i figure about 1.5 oz PP on larger feeds so 2 gallons should be fine.

GOOD.....I just ordered a gallon of BH from YOU last night!!:thumb:

Great Lakes BBQ Supply ROCKS!!!

Back