Infrared cooking

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Although I am sold on cooking and smoking with charcoal and wood, I am considering getting an infrared grill for those times when I want to get going quickly. Anyone had any experience cooking with infrared? Any suggestions at to what brand is best?

My gf got me a Char-Broil Infrared for my birthday this year, and I was a little skeptical at first, but I have to admit I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I was a little confused at first, because I didn't really know about the Infrared technology, and I wondered what the food would be like without it really being exposed to the flame. But the grill heats up very quickly (and very evenly), and you still get great grill marks. Also, the big U-shaped bin that sits above the burners in mine allows for some flexibility. For example, I was grilling some wings and I put some wood chips in to add some flavor, and it was a really easy cleanup afterwards.

So far, I'm a fan. Pretty sure this is the one I have:
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/67-431-1903/RED-ThreeBurner-Dual-Fuel-Infrared-Grill.aspx

I think it retails for $399.

I have a grill with the infrared burner on the grill and one on the
rotisserie. The grill works great when Ive used it and it is fast. The rotis doesnt seem to get hot enough or maybe its not close enough. I really do like it just don't use it a lot

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Charbroil "Red" 3 burner and the Charbroil Commercial 3 burner. Any clue on which is the better of the 2. Both are priced about the same.

I spent a week at Memphis In May demonstrating the Char-Broil Infrared products for Char-Broil I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

There are two primary models. The RED units which are found at Home Depot and the Quantum "Commercial" units found at Lowe's. There are distinct differences between the two.

like most other things in life, you get what you pay for with an infrared grill...dont expect that char broil to last long

I've had a TEC infrared grill for about 9 years. I makes the best steaks and burgers ever but it gets way too hot even on low for chicken. I've had a lot of problems through the years with blowouts, ignitor problems and other things but when its working it sure sears a great steak.

like most other things in life, you get what you pay for with an infrared grill...dont expect that char broil to last long

You are correct. However, just as other things in life you have different models and grades to choose from within the Char-Broil line. I'll put my Char-Broil RED unit up against whatever you got.

You are correct. However, just as other things in life you have different models and grades to choose from within the Char-Broil line. I'll put my Char-Broil RED unit up against whatever you got.

not to get sidetracked, but lets compare - I had a Lynx with 1 pro sear burner - near as I can tell, it cost more then 3-5 times what the CHarBroil Red units go for - is it worth it?? I don't know, but what I do know is it had a full welded SS body and frame - no bolts holding it together - this was true american made SS - not imported SS that discolors and pits out from China. There was a lifetime guarantee on everything on the grill - they dont even make replacement regular burners for it (solid 1/4 inch thick cast red brass). The grates were solid SS - each one weighed over 10 lbs. The entire grill weighed over 300 lbs - I am sure the RED product works well....I simply stated to not expect it to last and that, like most things in life, you get what you pay for (whether it be cars, watches, electronics, etc). An example would be I am sure people can and do make great que on a ECB - but it is easier to get the same result from a WSM...is the WSM worth the 5x price increase over the ECB? How about a Jambo compared to a Lang??? Same principle there...both work....which one would you rather have? Both can get you to the same end result, but one makes the process a lot easier, lasts longer, looks better, is made of higher quality material and has better workmanship, and just works better...it is what it is.

Disclaimer - I will say that I dont have my lynx anymore...when I got my ceramic cooker, I sold it and have not looked back one bit:)

not to get sidetracked, but lets compare - I had a Lynx with 1 pro sear burner - near as I can tell, it cost more then 3-5 times what the CHarBroil Red units go for - is it worth it?? I don't know, but what I do know is it had a full welded SS body and frame - no bolts holding it together - this was true american made SS - not imported SS that discolors and pits out from China. There was a lifetime guarantee on everything on the grill - they dont even make replacement regular burners for it (solid 1/4 inch thick cast red brass). The grates were solid SS - each one weighed over 10 lbs. The entire grill weighed over 300 lbs - I am sure the RED product works well....I simply stated to not expect it to last and that, like most things in life, you get what you pay for (whether it be cars, watches, electronics, etc). An example would be I am sure people can and do make great que on a ECB - but it is easier to get the same result from a WSM...is the WSM worth the 5x price increase over the ECB? How about a Jambo compared to a Lang??? Same principle there...both work....which one would you rather have? Both can get you to the same end result, but one makes the process a lot easier, lasts longer, looks better, is made of higher quality material and has better workmanship, and just works better...it is what it is.

Disclaimer - I will say that I dont have my lynx anymore...when I got my ceramic cooker, I sold it and have not looked back one bit:)

An excellent non-sequitur....

Hiya --- CB here. I write the blog and newsletter for Char-Broil and get a chance to work with most of the products. I'd say it's fair to call the Char-Broil products a good mass-market grill. It's not the most expensive in the marketplace nor the cheapest. In all Char-Broil versions of infrared a lower BTU burner will convert convection heat output to infrared energy which steps up the actual heat delivery when it re-converts on the surface of the meat or at the grates.

Infrared factoid. Charcoal fires emit a good amount of infrared - it's the heat you feel on your face even when the hot air and smoke are blowin' the other direction. But it's difficult to manage and control to keep it consistent. The ceramic infrared burners are aptly described as effective but are either 'ON' or 'OFF.' And ON is very hot with no lower settings. Char-Broil does not use ceramic burners and has several patented infrared systems.

The Char-Broil infrared grills come in three flavors.

The Quantum system is available on the Lowe's Commercial Series brand and also as a stand-along brand at other retailers. The features and configurations may vary by retailer. The Quantum infrared system uses standard burner set-up and a grate and emitter system that is un-coated stainless steel that needs to be seasoned just like raw cast iron and will require re-seasoning after nearly every cook. Temperatures at the grates can be as low as 200F and as high as over 750F or 800F degrees. The Quantum design does provide for an even distribution of heat and virtually eliminates hot or cold spots. In most normal grilling situation the Quantum also greatly reduces direct flame-to-fat flare-ups.

The RED and HEATWAVE system is 100% infrared using a lower btu burner and concave metal trough design to boost grate temps as high as 750F - 800F degrees. It also allows for more even heat control, with virtually no hot or cold spots and with no flame to fat contact virtually eliminates that type of flare-up. RED is a Home Depot exclusive while the Heatwave is available at other retailers. The Big Easy oil-less turkey fryer uses a 100% infrared system that is similar in concept to the RED/Heatwave.

The third system is often called infra-vection because it's a combination of infrared and convection and you'll find it on several grills at many different retailers. The Patio Bistro comes in both electric and propane versions, The Big Easy Smoker, Roaster & Grill uses this in the grill configuration. And there are several other grills offered by different names that use this system.

Infrared is a natural cooking energy - most of us didn't even realize it's one of the big factors that makes meat grilled over wood or charcoal have a flavor we like....there is physical science that infrared affects meat proteins in unique ways and we have always kinda associated these with the charcoal flavor. It's not necessarily all due to that.

Char-Broil designs and builds cookers that fill specific offerings at retailers - it's systems are affordable with starting prices under $200 and range up to $1,000. This isn't intended to be a commercial, per se, just adding some information and factoids to the thread. I apologize if it's too sales pitch like and let me know so I can modify it if necessary.

Thanksto all. CB. Great info. If you were going to buy one just for normal use would it be the Red or Quantum?

Okay, now that my good friend CB, has the technical side out of the way...

I've used both and prefer the RED. Why? Because of the trough design. I can "smoke" with it. The trough allows me to put wood chips, pellets or chunks directly in the trough and smoke. There is also a "bbq" setting that allows me, should I want, to do some "sort of, kind of" low and slow BBQ.

The grates are easier to clean on the RED, IMHO. And this is important. I had the chance to use all the infrared systems in some manner during Memphis In May and I'd much prefer the RED than the Quantum.

I think you guys have made up my mind for me. Think I'll go RED. Thanks again for the help.

Anyone that has been around for any length of time on this forum knows I have not been a "gasser" fan. When Char-Broil asked me to go back to Memphis In May and be part of the All-Star cooking team I had told them they would have have to convince me that this infrared thing wasn't a gimmick.

I've always spoke my mind around here, maybe you've noticed, and I wasn't going to say anything that wasn't true. The integrity of my blog and myself is to important and I wasn't going to shill for anyone.

After getting an RED unit before I left to try out I was convinced that it cooked well and believe it or not the food didn't taste much different than that cooked on my kettle. I know, I know weird isn't it.

As for the construction. When WalMart, Lowes and HD tell you make a unit at a particular price point, you make a unit at a particular price point. It's just the way retail is these days. Are those cheap units cheap? Yes. But Char-Broil insisted I get the RED unit I did in the box and I had to put it together. It's well built it really is.

I know this whole thread sounds like a Char-Broil commercial but that's all we have is experience with these units.

I have the Lowes char broil commercial infrared deal. It's been the best grill ever for the past two years of moderate use. No flare up's, five burners to get it nice and hot, but still have less burned meat when I'm socializing instead of cooking.

Alas, one of the low quality metal grates has fallen apart, and it's a 40$ part. The cooking surface has four grate assemblies and four trays with tiny little holes that radiate the heat. That's 8 forty dollar parts to replace = ~$300+

Sounds like the RED version is better constructed. Although it's been the best gasser I've ever owned, I'm a lil annoyed at a major part falling apart in two years.

In fairness to charbroil, I havent called yet to see how customer service responds.

I spy a weber genesis on cl locally for 25$ that I might resurrect on the cheap.

Back