Tri-Tip?

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I found Tri-Tip here in Ma. I guess I just kept catching people that didn't know what they were talking about every place I looked. I got it at a place that I asked probably 3 times before. The guy I asked this time said oh yeah & came right out with a 3 lber. That's very frustrating.

So, now that I have it, how do I cook it.

Indirect?
At what Temp on the lil Tex?
To what internal temp? 135°-140°?
Approx how long will it take?

Thanx in advance for the help.

Indirect-direct, around 325*-350*, medium rare -143*. Enjoy. 3lber about hr and ten minutes.

So I found Tri-Tip here in Ma. I guess I just kept catching people that didn't know what they were talking about every place I looked. I got it at a place that I asked probably 3 times before. The guy I asked this time said oh yeah & came right out with a 3 lber. That's very frustrating.

Indirect?

use some dry rub (whatever you prefer the simpler the better ) get some red oak wood and grill direct until desired doneness I like em rare around 45 min to an hour let rest slice and serve:-D

Rub with Kosher salt, garlic powder ,and cracked black pepper all even portions aprox 1 TBLS each. Start off indirect till 110 and finish over direct till the temp you like. I prefer 135 - 138. and then let rest 20 min cut across grain.

John (also a proud owner of an orange thermapen)

There are so many ways to cook a tri-tip. I have always done it over a direct fire, around 325F to 350F, until done. Unless you have an adjustable grate, I build a hot fire and then spread it out to have various heat areas on the grill so I can move the meat around. I like to cook to 130F internal.

That being said, I smoked one at New Years, over a indirect 231F-ish fire for 5-ish hours until it was 130F then put it over the hot coals to get a reverse sear. It was incredible.

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-tri-tip.html

Indirect?

Hey DC-Q, A lot of places in MA use tri tip for their sirloin tips or ground sirloin. So if you ask for tri tip and they look at you funny ask them what cut they use for those two things and if you can see it. Once they bring it out it's pretty apparent if it's tri tip or not. Also once you find a meat man who knows what you're talking about get his work schedule. So much easier dealing with that guy then the random people back there and will reduce the amount of frustration you go through.

I’ve noticed in the supermarket near me they’ve started selling cryovac tri tips…can’t recall the brand. I usually get it from in the back anyway because the ones they use for their sirloin tips is better quality.

Oh...I like my tri tip medium rare...rubbed and then indirect at the beginning then direct for the reverse sear. Oddly enough the other way I like it is cubed and in a big pot of red chili(no beans).

Here's another way:

Seasoning Salt & Steak Seasoning. Put in 225-230 smoker. Pull it at 135 and let it rest. Slice thin against the grain.

Looks like this...

Attachments

• tri-tip.jpg
    tri-tip.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 230
I'm in favor of the low temp first then sear method. If you have a good, marbled roast, the slow cooking melts the marbling nicely. I like the char at the end, it adds to the flavor profile.

I've tried Bigmista's tri tip, and the straight smoke method tastes real good. I also use the indirect grill - then hot direct sear method. If I use the second way, I cook for a total of 40 minutes and pull at 130F internal.

Garlic salt, montreal steak seasoning, indirect, sear finish, pull 135 and rest. Enjoy.

DC-Q, im glad to hear you found some tri-tip as it can be very hard to find in your neck of the woods. I cook tri-tip once per week so I feel like I know what im talking about. I've cooked it about every way possible and have a definite favorite. I typically use The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style rub since the garlic and pepper compliment beef so well. I cook over direct heat until I get a nice char on both sides. Once I get that char/crust, I move off the coals or lump and finish indirect. I try to pull it at around 130 internal and let rest under a foil tent for 10 minutes. Letting the meat rest and cutting across the grain are the most important steps so make sure you don't forget. If you cut it too early, your juices will run out and if you cut against the grain the meat will be much more tender.

Here is a picture of a tri-tip pulled around the 130 mark.

photo-6.jpg

Thanx for all the help everyone. After seeing those pics my mouth is already watering. I have to go into the office in the am but I'll prep it (PD Style) and put it in the fridge before I leave. Can't wait!!!

Man , I wish T-Man could buy Some tri- tip... In my part of the world... Only bought it once locally ...some good stuff...

This great - I just purchased my first tri-tip and was going to give it a try for Mother's Day tomorrow! I will try to distill all of this info! All the best!

Tri-Tip is awesome!!! I used Patio Daddio's recipe. I ended up doing it on my 075 instead of the 070 just because I have all these Traegers so I leave the 075 on my BIL's deck & we decided to have dinner there. 45 min on one side to 120° then flipped & 15 min on the other side & took it off at 130°. Rested for 15 min. It was great. I see what all the fuss is about on the left coast. Don't mind my presentation the pic is of the leftovers.
tri-tip-2.jpg

Back