Where do you buy your meat?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if you get your meat for a competition from a butcher, a supermarket, costco or what?

I imagine that a butcher would be easiest but most expensive.

And a question that's a bit off topic, how do you get that 'film' off the back of the ribs? I spent an hour last night trying to get it all off and thought that there has to be a better way.

Thanks!

Eric Devlin

pry up one corner by sticking your knife under the membrane and prying up with the back of the knife (the unsharpened side). Then grab it with a paper towel and pull. It's very easy once you get the hang of it
Peel%202_jpg.jpg

What part of the country are you Eric?
When I started, I went the local butcher route, figuring I was gonna get better quality special order etc. especially for a packers cut brisket. Had to train them though not to mess with it; same with pork butts and ribs. Most of time it worked out but I was paying a pretty penny. Turns out I could do much better by going to the wholesale source and that is what I do now here on Long Island. I can find good ribs in the supermarket or the Costco's etc aok.
Most likely depends on your area.

I Have Used Both Butcher And Wholesale Like Sam's Club. I Found No Difference Between The Two Meat Wise, But Price There Is A Diference. Sam's Lets Me Dig Thru There Case's To Find What I Want.
I Start In The Middle And Just Use My Finger. Work It Under The Membrane And Pull Out, Both Sides Will Peel At Same Time

Westexbbq said:
Turns out I could do much better by going to the wholesale source and that is what I do now here on Long Island. I can find good ribs in the supermarket or the Costco's etc aok.
Most likely depends on your area.

Where do you get decent packers cut brisket and shoulders on LI? I was going to pick up ribs from Costco for the New Hudson Rib Fest but was about to order the others from my local butcher. Would love a better (read "cheaper") source!

- Clint

My ribs I get at a small grocery store that I will pick up on my way home from work. The only place that I have found brisket around here so far is a butcher shop. Pork butt I get at a grocery store here by me. I understand about trying to save money, but I am really thinking about using the butcher all the time. It might cost me a little more but if I need something at the last minute...

Plus I just cooked for 51 people and it only cost $120, and that would have been enough to cook for my first comp.

Just my $.02

g

we'll smoke u said:
I Start In The Middle And Just Use My Finger. Work It Under The Membrane And Pull Out...

someones gotta comment on that quote, might as well be me. :eek:

I get everything wholesale anymore, my catering business has really taken off so we buy everything by the case. Kobe brisket, organic pork. Ribs are a St Louis cut product that have been better quality than anything I can find at Costco or Sam as an example. The chickens are organic and have been great.

Also have a wholesale supplier for seafood. The wholesaler has asked my partner and I to produce all their smoked fish product, they have also opened their cold storage for our use.

It's all about about building relationships.

Company picnic tomorrow for 200 at $27 a plate, business is good.

Westexbbq said:
What part of the country are you Eric?
quote]

I'm about 10 miles west of you in Huntington off the LIE. : )

I assume that our shopping experiences would be similar then.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Eric Devlin

Eric, CLint, et al,
Looks like Willie B and I are on the same page, Majestic Meats in Patchogue.
I'm sure if you mention Willie you might get more juice than I, but try 'em out and feel free to mention my name.
Wes

Restaraunt Depot is definitely the best route for competition shopping or any big cook. You can not beat the prices and it is just about the only place you can find Packer brisket year round. Just walk in and ask for a one day pass.

Thanks will, wes et al. I've got some LI exploring to do tomorrow. Now for my stupid question of the month...

Should I try to buy meat next friday for a weekend competition (meaning a day off from work) or is it ok to store cryovac'd meat for 6 days (assuming the bag doesn't start leaking)?

I'm overly anxious about our first kcbs competition so feel free to kick me a new one for not searching old threads for my answer!

- Clint

Sorry for 2 posts in a row but I just found the website for Restaurant Depot and there seems to be one no more than a minute from my house (and yes, I feel very stupid for never seeing it!!).

Wes, Will or anyone, can I walk up and simply ask for a one-day pass or do I need to come prepared with some business license info?

If you can bring a Tax ID (that is all they will take) you can get a membership. The one in Queens made people getting a one day pass sign a book with the name of their business and then got a pass. I saw a lot of scribbled nonsense when I glanced at it.

SmokeInDaEye said:
Thanks will, wes et al. I've got some LI exploring to do tomorrow. Now for my stupid question of the month...

Should I try to buy meat next friday for a weekend competition (meaning a day off from work) or is it ok to store cryovac'd meat for 6 days (assuming the bag doesn't start leaking)?

I'm overly anxious about our first kcbs competition so feel free to kick me a new one for not searching old threads for my answer!

- Clint

There are some who will try to age their beef but I am not one to take chances with the $150 I just spent for meat for a contest. When I get home from Resturant Depot or Majestic Meats (Willy B turned me on to them) I put the meat into my freezer. I put the meat into the frig 24 hours before the contest.

We usually bring 3 briskets, 3 butts, 10 to 12 racks of baby backs and 24 thighs.

Sawdustguy said:
We usually bring 3 briskets, 3 butts, 10 to 12 racks of baby backs and 24 thighs.

That's a lot of leftovers! You must have a lot of happy friends and neighbors at home....

Sawdustguy said:

But you've got that beautiful new rig while I'm struggling to find room for four meats! I'm thinking 1 chicken tender, half a rib, 1 burnt end and the juice from a shoulder. At least it'll be cheap!

Back