Calling All gravity fed owners......

As far as brunettes. I say Stubbs.

I like blondes more but wouldn't turn down a brunette. I second stubbs, i used KBB and it has an odd smell, there's a website I'll look up that compares a lot companies but I have bags and bags of Stubbs briqs. My stumps baby with a full chimney 6lbs worth held 300 for 11 hours before the fan constantly ran it was also 15 degrees out so start up was rougher.

I used KBB in my previous gravity fed and it worked great. You'll probably get a bunch of different answers, but if you haven't already try a few different types out including lump vs briquettes to see what you like :-D.

I'd try out a few different charcoals as Jason mentions and find what works for you. I always use Royal Oak in my Superior Smoker SS-1and I never have problems with the burn time or bridging and I can get it up to temp quickly as well (about thirty to thirty five minutes for 225-250).

I use Stubbs. It is great because it creates very little ash which works perfect in the gravity fed smoker.

I have been using KBB but only because I got a ton (ok, 20 20lb bags) really cheap. I would prefer to use lump because I like the flavor better and it produces less ash.

I have been burning royal oak lump and liked that ok and the last couple of cooks I used kbb because that's what I had. The kbb seems to have a lot of ash but maybe lasted a little longer.

I have used KKB, Royal Oak, and Stubbs by themselves, as well as 50/50 combo of Royal Oak and Stubbs. My preference is the 50/50 combo of Royal Oak and Stubbs. The combination, IMHO, gives off a better smoke, as well as minimizing the ash.

Royal Oak lump. I'll use KBB but it creates so much ash. I had some Primo lump laying around that has been working great too, maybe its made by RO.

I use briquettes in my SS1 because everytime I have tried lump I get bridges. Those of you using lump, do you break it up as you load the chute or is there some trick I'm missing? Thanks.

I use royal oak lump or humphrys lump, you will get longer burns out of briquettes but its a gravity fed so who cares?

to me if i am going to smell something cooking for hours i love real lump, the smell along with whatever is cooking gets my vote, very little ash, and if i have some in the shoot when i am done, i just leave it in there until i start it up again, if i do that with briquettes they swell from moisture, and can jam.

i dont really have any issues with jams, from lump i used to break up bigger pieces, but now i have a bar for clearing them, i can tell if its not keeping temp to run it up and down the shoot and in 15 min all is fine.

My 2 cents.
I use RO lump because it is available locally to me. It's ok but not my favorite.
IMO Wicked Good burns the cleanest and lasts the longest, but not much "smoke flavor."
Good One - better than RO, decent burn time and decent smoke.
My favorite = B&B oak lump. Good burn time and by far the best smoke taste IMHO.

Back