• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Superior Smokers SS-2 Crash Course

peeps

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, as many of you know, I am one lucky SOB who managed to snag a Superior SS-2 through the Empty Stocking Fund donation/raffle campaign put on by abangs and the Gainesville Jaycees with some sweet prizes donated by some awesome vendors! I have thanked all those involved many times already today and it just doesn't seem sufficient!

I had never even heard of one of these types of smokers before joining the Brethren a few months ago.

So, I have done a bit of digging on operating this guy and would love some super helpful pro-tips from you experienced gravity fed guys. Feel free to add to my list:

• Stock up on Stubbs briquettes (seems to be the consensus for consistency vs lump in some quick searching..plus I like running it in Major)
  • Throw some wood chunks in the ash pan
  • Buy a grease drip pan (but what size?)
  • Light half a chimney worth of charcoal in the chute with help of a starter cube, then load the chute.
  • Let the temp settle in and load that rib cookin' machine up with loads and loads of ribs
  • Sit back, relax, and pop a cold one, or two...or eight.
  • Stuff my face

I'm assuming I can keep the chute loaded anytime I use it and just choke out the fire after each use, then just re-up the chute with more Stubbs?

One day soon I will probably get a wifi Guru/Stoker/Heatermeter. Is the 10cfm just right or is it overkill and the 4-6 cfm units would suffice?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Step 1. Drive to Georgia.
Step 2. Drop off at my house.
Step 3. Enjoy!

Sounds good, 10cfm fan would be perfect. Thr fan has its own damper that allows you to reduce its output. Congratulations on the awesome prize. The relighting of the smoket is the interesting part. I've seen people use weed burners and also weber starter cubes on a firebrick to relight the bottom of the charcoal chute where the fire burns. People do use lump in them if you prefer it, they just break up the large pieces to avoid bridging issues.

Step 3. Enjoy!

Simple yet could work very well :p.

Peeps sounds like you have it outlined pretty good to me. I think the 10cfm fan is what most folks run.

I just spoke with Kevin to arrange shipment and he said even the 6.5 cfm PartyQ would run this thing like a champ! So, I'll evaluate my options and total costs and see which one will suit me best. I'm sort of a gadget dork, so it will likely be a wifi unit :becky:

Step 3. Enjoy!
What am I dropping off? The SS-2 don't fit in any of my vehicles and loading it up isn't listed in your steps? I'll bring you a lump o' coal, how 'bout that? :thumb:

I would light it from the bottom, using a map or plumbers torch.

I would also use lump, i use royal oak, as i can got it reasonable, and close.

if you leave charcoal briquets in the shoot, they may take on moisture and swell, i do this with lump, but it does not seem to hold moisture the way briquets can.

i can pretty much now time my cooks, so i just run it empty and put fresh in.

enjoy.

I would light it from the bottom, using a map or plumbers torch.

I would also use lump, i use royal oak, as i can got it reasonable, and close.

if you leave charcoal briquets in the shoot, they may take on moisture and swell, i do this with lump, but it does not seem to hold moisture the way briquets can.

i can pretty much now time my cooks, so i just run it empty and put fresh in.

enjoy.
I never had much luck with lump and getting a consistent burn, but I have also never had a cooker designed like this, so I'm sure I'll give lump a go sometime. I'll give it a go in my mini again as well, so I can try to settle on one type for my charcoal cookers (aside from the KBB holiday pricing deals).

You LUCKY SOB! :p You better figure out how to Haul it before the Spring Bash!!

Offset StickBurner Lover wins one of my Dream Smokers.......:mmph: :biggrin1:

Amazing. I will sip some tea in your honor. Dammit.

But seriously good things happen when you do good things. Your support of a worthy cause had a great result. Maybe you could name this smoker "Johnny Smoker"

Grease your unit inside (i used bacon grease), do a break in burn at 250* for about four hours. Plan on around 1 hour/lb of KBB or K-Comp using a Guru, etc. and I think they'll hold 12-14 lbs of briqs.

I did my break-in burn w/o the Guru hooked up and predictably, it took forever to get to 250*. When it finally did (2 hours +), I went in for dinner; came out an hour later and she was screaming along at 525*!! :shocked: :shocked:

Initially lighting I use a 1/2 chimney of lit briqs. Takes awhile to cool off after you shut it down so alternatively a BIG hot ash can can be used to carefully empty the firebox if you have to.

A full hotel pan will slide right into the opening for the grease drain, just don't wait too long to empty it!

If you don't do anything else, do these: get a controller, spring for a cover, clean it up regularly and you'll be a happy camper! Congrats again!

That's awesome, peeps! Congrats on the win. I know it's gonna be tough to divide your BBQ time between Earl and your new baby, but I'm sure you'll manage :thumb:

Can't wait to see some pics!

What am I dropping off? The SS-2 don't fit in any of my vehicles and loading it up isn't listed in your steps? I'll bring you a lump o' coal, how 'bout that? :thumb:

Is Denton anywhere near San Antonio? I'll save you the trouble and pick it up next time I'm out that way.

That's awesome, peeps! Congrats on the win. I know it's gonna be tough to divide your BBQ time between Earl and your new baby, but I'm sure you'll manage :thumb:

Can't wait to see some pics!
Earl will probably be neglected for a couple cooks and then I will use Earl for cooks where I can be outside and play with the fire.

I will use the SS-2 for overnight cooks and cooks where I might need to be away for a while.

Back