New to Q, suggestions for cooking for a family

Set up looks good. Good luck. Beautiful piece of meat.

My top vents wide open, bottom vents 1/8 to 1/4, sometimes gotta play with those depending on wind and such.

KC

Thanks, I'd seen your details on another thread when searching, with the vents wider than barely cracked, the temps start climbing quite sharply. Might be the lumpwood charcoal I'm using rather than brickettes.

Thanks, I'd seen your details on another thread when searching, with the vents wider than barely cracked, the temps start climbing quite sharply. Might be the lumpwood charcoal I'm using rather than brickettes.

For this method, if I am looking for a real consistent temp I will use the briquets. They seem to work nicely because of the consistent size/shape. It can be done with lump, but I find you get pretty wide fluctuations in your temps.

KC

When I saw the lump charcoal and the amount of it, I figured you would be running hot. No worries really, you're still in the neighborhood but it will finish quicker if you maintain that heat(obviously). My guess is you will have to add coals eventually and backtrack your snake as it burns along. Lump burns much faster. Just use less coals next time.

Personally, I would wrap it when you have the right color on it. I know a lot of guys here don't but for pulled anything it does help speed things along and will almost guarentee moist product.

If you get done way ahead of schedule, wrap it in foil(if you didn't during the cook) and place it in a clean cooler with some dry towels on top. It will keep HOT in there for 4+ hours. Then you can pull it out later to shred closer to eating time.

That is a awesome peice of meat you have there too by the way. When I saw that I just said "Oooh, that's gorgeous".

Looks like you are going to knock this out of the park. Thanks for posting your journey on this, I have found it fun to follow.

Progress.

So, I managed to wait 2.5 hours before cracking the kettle open. Managed to keep the temps stabilised between 120-130c/260-265F. Half the charcoal snake had gone.

IMG_2822_zpsf4ce615a.jpg

I put the lid back on, let the temps stabilise again and left it for another 2.5 hours.

After 5 hours I opened it up to find most of the snake gone, but with bits of charcoal remaining here and there.

IMG_2823_zps415d6ec0.jpg

I cleaned them out

IMG_2824_zpsbff15211.jpg

and reloaded with charcoal and some more wood chunks, topped up the water in the tray

IMG_2825_zps6a5b6f5e.jpg

and put it back again.

The temps spiked up to 180C and are back down at 160C and I'm hoping there'll drop a bit further. Will give it another couple of hours and check the internal temp and possibly wrap in foil, depending on what the temps do. I've been please so far with how stable the temp has stayed without climbing too far.

Got the temps back down to the 120's and stable, then after a while found them dropping and the charcoal was going out. Opened up the vents again, gave a prod and a few deep breaths on the coals and we're rolling again.

Internal temp currently at about 150F so we've a couple more hours to go before wrapping and going for the final stretch. 7.5 hours in so far.

You have a fine thing going right there!!:thumb:
Definitely and interesting take on a butt... Maybe just how I looked at it, but sure looked like the back side of a rib section in there?
From what you have put into this cook, you should be pleasantly rewarded.:-D

And if you are getting low on charcoal in a bit you can foil and finish at similar temps in the oven..

Remember that a pork shoulder is not treated the same as a pork chop you want to cook that succker until its 90.5*c to 96.0*c. or until the meat begins to release from the bone or until you can stick a probe and it goes in like butter. Oh and the pork shoulder will stall @ about 70*c if your cooking it slow so be prepared to wait it out.

That's one beasty chunk of meat. From what I understand over here the shoulder cut is separated into the hand and spring, I've never had a problem finding good cuts but you might want to ask for the spring next time :-D I'm sure it'll still turn out great though!

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003285

Descriptions for the different shoulder cuts start on page 24.
Here are descriptions of the more common cuts in the US

[FONT=&quot]Item No. 403 - Pork Shoulder - [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The shoulder is separated from the side by a straight cut, approximately perpendicular to the length of the side, posterior to, but not more than 1.0 inch (25 mm) from, the tip of the elbow and shall not expose the elbow. The outer tip of the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]M. subscapularis shall not extend past the dorsal edge of the base of the medial ridge of the blade bone. The foot shall be removed at or slightly above to the upper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]knee joint by a straight cut approximately perpendicular to the shank bones. The jowl shall be removed by a straight cut approximately parallel with the loin side which is anterior to, but not more than 1.0 inch (25 mm) from the innermost curvature of the ear dip. The neck bones, ribs, breast bones, and associated cartilage shall be removed. The fat and skin shall be beveled to meet the lean on the dorsal edge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item No. 404 - Pork Shoulder, Skinned - The shoulder is as described in Item No. 403 except the skin and fat on the outside of the shoulder shall be trimmed. The skin shall be removed dorsal to a straight line parallel to the dorsal side which starts at [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a point that does not exceed 25 percent of the distance from the elbow joint to the dorsal side. The fat exposed by the removal of the skin shall be trimmed to not exceed ½-inch (13 mm) in depth at any point 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) or more from the edge of the skin collar. At least traces of the false lean shall be exposed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item No. 405 - Pork Shoulder, Picnic - This item is prepared from Item No. 403. The butt shall be removed by a straight cut, dorsal to the shoulder joint, at an approximate right angle with the belly side. The jowl shall be removed by a straight cut approximately parallel with the belly side which is not more than 1.0 inch (25 mm) anterior from the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus), measured on the butt side. The fat and skin shall be beveled to meet the lean on the dorsal edge. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item No. 406 - Pork Shoulder, Boston Butt, Bone-In - This item is as described in Item No. 403 except that the picnic is removed as described in Item No. 405. Skin, neck bones and related cartilage shall be removed. At least traces of false lean (M. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]trapezius) shall be exposed. When specified, the neck shall be removed by a straight cut approximately parallel to the loin side, immediately anterior to the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Item No. 406A - Pork Shoulder, Boston Butt, Boneless - This item is prepared from Item No. 406. All bones, cartilages, and skin shall be removed. The loin side of the butt shall expose the M. longissimus equal to or larger than the combined areas of the M. splenius and M. semispinalis capitis. The picnic side shall expose a cross-section of the M. supraspinatus with no more than a slight enlargement of tendons. The jowl shall be removed by a straight cut, approximately parallel with the loin side, which is not more than 1.0 inch (25 mm) anterior to the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus), measured on the picnic side. At least traces of false lean (M. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]trapezius) shall be exposed. The lean and fat overlying the blade shall remain firmly attached. When specified, the neck shall be removed by a straight cut approximately [/FONT][FONT=&quot]parallel to the loin side, immediately anterior to the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus). [/FONT]
If you are interested in a brisket description:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003281

Page 37
Item No. 120 - Beef Brisket, Deckle-Off, Boneless -This item is as described in Item No. 119 except that the deckle (hard fat and M. intercostales internion the inside surface) shall beremoved at the natural seam exposing the lean surface of the M. pectoralis profundi. The hard fat along the sternumedge shall be trimmed level with the boned surface. The inside lean surface shall be trimmed practically free of fat.

Last edited:
Beautiful hunk of pork, and your cook seems to be going pretty smooth! Great color on that bark too.

After 11 hours we hit 165-170F internal temp and it looked like this:

IMG_2826_zps0e5ed0ee.jpg

I couldn't find wide turkey foil in any of our shops so crimped a few pieces of regular together, double layered it, put the thermometer in and wrapped it all up with a cup of apple juice, added a few extra bits of charcoal as we were almost burned out and put it back on the heat again.

IMG_2827_zps9ffd66f0.jpg

Waiting for the temps to hit 195F and then it gets prodded and off to rest for half an hour while I add some more charcoal to get everything nice and hot and see if I can turn the big piece of skin that came off it into some serious crackling.

Remember that a pork shoulder is not treated the same as a pork chop you want to cook that succker until its 90.5*c to 96.0*c. or until the meat begins to release from the bone or until you can stick a probe and it goes in like butter. Oh and the pork shoulder will stall @ about 70*c if your cooking it slow so be prepared to wait it out.

Yep, it did settle there for quite a while, but came up eventually and now we're on to the final stretch :)

That's one beasty chunk of meat. From what I understand over here the shoulder cut is separated into the hand and spring, I've never had a problem finding good cuts but you might want to ask for the spring next time :-D I'm sure it'll still turn out great though!

Good to know, thanks.

Looking good! Wish I was there to eat some of that pork and enjoy a good bitter!

I also cook on a kettle, and I wouldn't change a thing you've done. Also, I'd buy my butts just like that one every time! Massive thing, that butt.

Great work!

It hit 195 and a quick prod suggested it was just where it needed to be. I've just taken it off the heat and opened the foil, in 30 mins I serve it.

I couldn't resist a taste, it's spectacular :D

Final photos coming after dinner.

Back