Fatboy or Gater.....

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Help me decide which one.

Gonna be using it for Brisket, Pork, and Ribs.

Chicken will be done on the Bubba Keg.

I think it depends whether you plan on running dry or with water. Id hate to try removing the gater's water pan to dump.

I say party G2 love mine it's a cooking S.O.B

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Like them both....love the Gater. Full size pans = homerun. Can order it with a permanent water pan like a Fatboy if you are worried about dumping the water pan - but that's no big deal either. Once you cook on it a few times, you'll figure out how much water to put in so it runs low at end of cook.

In my experience more is better and the Gater is a Fatboy +.

Last edited:
Get the Fat Boy.. Supposedly, the guy who won the Jack in 2007 won using a Fat Boy.. That's what I read on their site anyway.

I would look at the new G2 Party....more space and a lot of new features.

I would look at the new G2 Party....more space and a lot of new features.

Ideally yes that would be a better option, but its going to be either the Gator or the Fatboy. The dealer is local and giving me a good deal.

I got my Gater a few weeks ago and it is awesome. After the first cook removing the water pan sucked, but the cook I did this weekend I was able to time the cook with the amount of water I needed. I like the option of being able to put hotel size pans in there. I did go with the 180 degree doors which are great.

I have had my gator for a year and half and love it. Dumping the water pan is not that bad. I only use 2 gallons of water to start with and then add a gallon when more water needed. This helps control the moisture and helps with getting a good bark. It is also less full at the end.

I personally disagree with 180 doors. All you have to do is pull one tray out and it holds the door open for you to do what you need to do. I would invest the money on a nice cart to be able to move it around cuz it is heavy.

Not sure who you are going through but the Riiters are great to deal with and they built me a really nice cart. Also the deal was really good.

Get the Fat Boy.. Supposedly, the guy who won the Jack in 2007 won using a Fat Boy.. That's what I read on their site anyway.

Also the guy who won the 2012 Jack, as well as the guy the won The 2011 American Royal Invite and The 2011 Sams. :)

If your getting the gater, id have them not install the upper charcoal sliders, so you can get more coals in there, also decide if your going to run dry or not, if not get the welded in pan. so its basically a fatboy that fits pans.

As for emptying the water pan, I bought a cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight and use that in my Extended Party.

I agree with the others, go with the Gater.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Even though the Gater is probably the better choice, in this particular instance I am going with the Fatboy. Ordinarily the price difference isn't much, but in this case there is.

Thanks again!

If your getting the gater, id have them not install the upper charcoal sliders, so you can get more coals in there, also decide if your going to run dry or not, if not get the welded in pan. so its basically a fatboy that fits pans.

Second that!! Not a fan of the Gater as it is.

Back