Grilled Pheasant Suggestions

Backwoods Grillin'

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

I'm curious to know if any of you have grilled/smoked/BBQ'd a pheasant breast in the past and would like to share your recipe with me. Thank-you for your time and I greatly appreciate any feedback you may have.

Derek A. Hartman
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy
Backwoods Grillin'

Marinate in Sour orange for 2 hrs, Salt & pepper the meat place a 1/2 a Jalpeno on and wrap in bacon. Squeeze of lime over the top when it comes off the pit. "Fair winds" thank you!

Bludawg - Thanks for your reply. At what temp should I grill at 250-300 and for what length of time? I'm guessing the internal temp should be at or around 160F?

I brine for an hour or 2 in a mix of water and soy, then grill indirect until an it of 150˚, then directly over the coals until it's crisped up and at least 160˚. Since pheasant is a game bird, the same worries about salmonella don't apply as they do with commercial poultry, but itf it's a farmed bird it's not a bad idea to take it to 165˚. Just be careful, it can be brutally tough and dry if even slightly overcooked.

This is a wild game, have 3 breasts cut up in pieces and another breast that hasn't been touched with a knife. Will be cooking this on a pellet grill using Mesquite pellets.

This is a wild game, have 3 breasts cut up in pieces and another breast that hasn't been touched with a knife. Will be cooking this on a pellet grill using Mesquite pellets.

As a Pellet Guy--I gotta ask.
Blended Mesquite or Pure Mesquite?

I prefer (in general) blended fruit wood pellets for poultry (and pork) and stronger blended hickory and mesquite for more robust meats like Beef.

Pure Mesquite will overpower the meat in a heartbeat, especially at lower temps.
Blended Mesquite when use at higher temps (above 325ish) would probably work.

Let us know how it comes out.

TIM

I smoke pheasant breasts all the time (very low in fat and great taste).

I smoke mine around 275. It doesn't take long to cook full breasts let alone pieces. I would say depending on how thick the breasts are I would go a half hour and take a look. Just keep an eye on them. Pheasant is unforgivable if over cooked.

I never probe my meat. If I think it's done I find the thickest piece and cut into it. If its cooked then so are the rest. Whatever you do, don't turn your back on it.

I have a completely different take and so maybe it is not relevant.
I think the result of a fast hot cook (grill) serves and honours pheasant way more than smoking it, I no longer do it.
I rub the breast with EVOO and S&P, lay it skin down on a hot grate and turn at 4 minutes and repeat, then rest.
I see no point in going for an I.T and there is no way it tastes better than when it is pink and juicy.
Game birds just do not have the fat or collagen to come out well done any longer or slower in my opinion.
I'll post this in case anyone wants to try it, a fave of ours
Ingredients:
1 pheasant Breast

Olive oil

¼ brown onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

½ x 400g can chopped tomatoes

2 tbs finely chopped basil

1 cups milk

¼ cup polenta

20g butter
Method:
1 Rub pheasant breast with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 

2 Heat a char-grill pan/hot bbq grate- over medium-high heat, add pheasant, skin side down and char-grill for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside rest 3 minutes

3 Heat a little oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft. Add tomatoes and basil and simmer for 5 minutes.

4 Meanwhile, bring the milk to boil in a medium saucepan, add the polenta and whisk constantly for about 5-8 minutes or until thick and creamy.
Add the butter and season with salt and pepper, whisk to combine. 

5 Spoon the polenta onto plate, top with pheasant breast and spoon
HTH :noidea:

I appreciate all of your suggestions. Once I cook the breast, I'll be sure to let you all know how it turned out.

The Kapn - I use blended Mesquite as that is what was given to me to start off with.

I like wrapping mine in bacon!

I kow this pheasant (and quail) are whole but I've done the same thing with just breasts. Turns out awesome.

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

I have always just wrapped the breasts with bacon and thrown them on the grill. Keep it simple!

Back