IBCA Chicken - To Glaze or Not to Glaze

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've finally managed to get a pretty good chicken practicing at home. One of my favorites is lightly glazed. Does anyone else glaze their chickens at an IBCA event, or is this considered taboo?

I would try and not make the glaze so thick it drips off. If that happens, I as a head judge would tell you to clean the excess off. Some glaze helps, but overall its the taste of the bird and how easy it is to bite through the skin.

I have done well either way, but better and more consistent with glaze

I've been cooking chicken every weekend for three weeks trying to come up with a better turn in product. Granted, at the house, it's still backyard BBQ, but everyone seems to prefer the glazed chicken. I've been thinning the glaze a little from week to week and this week everyone absolutely loved the glaze. I've pretty much got my mind made up that my next comp chicken WILL be glazed. Thanks for all the advice.

I'll keep this going... I have a IBCA in a few weeks and I've been practicing like crazy on chicken.... I can't get a glaze to go on evenly on such a large piece of chicken... It's easier on a thigh to make it look even. But mine look like crap, the taste is great tho. Would thinning the sauce with apple juice make it more even?

FA28E4A9-F9A4-4549-B299-39EAB4337E70-4202-00000427260692BC.jpg

Here's a shot of the 12th place chicken at Meridian two years ago. It's glazed with a thin sauce I make.

Attachments

• Meridian'10_8.jpg
    Meridian'10_8.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 121
Those a beautiful! I wish I could get that nice of a color on mine. It seems to me the thinner I've been making my glaze the nicer it finishes. I've been using apple juice to thin my glaze out.

Now these don't look as good as Larry's, he's a BBQ Guru!

None of these made the turn in box and the bottom ones are before I changed my recipe to one that hits.

BirdsII-1.jpg

birds.jpg

Get me a ticket too! Lol

Do you guys use anything special to apply ur glaze or just the basic BBQ brush?

Don't really glaze, but since I smoke my chicken for 2 hours and not cook them hot 'n' fast, I'll brush some BBQ sauce on them about an hour into the cook to give them that appealing color. I have gotten a call in every IBCA event I've done in chicken (can't say the same for the brisket and ribs, ouch). Here is last weeks chicken (10th place).

Back