• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How NOT to do brisket - Mega Failure!! WARNING - Not for Weak Stomachs!!

I just saw your post and picture of your Brisket. I actually believe I threw up in my mouth. I can't get that first picture out of my mine and I am sure I am going to have nightmare's about this. It looks like something you would see at an autopsy. But kudos on the great comeback and save. Feed that to the wild cats and I am sure they will leave the neighborhood. Good Luck

Trucky9754

Cooking on

FEC100
CS009
Weber Gasser
Thermopen Red X 2
Official MOINKER
Pork Patrol BBq Comp team

Yep, I've seen something similar first hand...except mine was at a competition in 2007...I got the grand idea to add tenderizer to my injection....I start my flats out fat cap up and flip over after about 4 hours....at the flip, all the flats nicely divided themselves into 3 pieces...FARK!!! The worst part was the taste and tenderness...it seemed the more you chewed, the bigger the bite got in your mouth....no choice but to turn in or disqualify myself....so we put 3" long slices in the middle of the box and filled the outside edges with chunks and turned it it...fully expecting to come in DAL! 34 teams this contest and the brisket came in 29th...WTF??? There were 5 entries WORSE than mine?? You got to be Chittin' me!
That was the LAST time I've used tenderizer....the next year at this same contest we were 1st in brisket with a near perfect score.

Yea, brother, I've been there.....nice recovery with the Tri Tip!

Alright..

Why does my name pop up in every brisket nightmare thread.

There was that ONE brisket I cooked to perfection last year, remember? C'mon, you remember!

Well Shane, I'm sure its safe to assume that from now on, it will be my name that is mentioned when bad brisket happens!

There is no way that your brisket could have been remotely close to this mess... And even if it was on par, I doubt you farked up anywhere close to 100lbs of it! :becky:

Maybe it would do in chili, stew or a hash.

Sorry man - NO WAY! This stuff was so horrible that if you even got a small amount of the mush mixed in with a bite you would spit it out!
I would really hate to ruin a pot of chili trying to save some crappy brisket! :doh:

34 teams this contest and the brisket came in 29th...WTF??? There were 5 entries WORSE than mine?? You got to be Chittin' me!
That was the LAST time I've used tenderizer....the next year at this same contest we were 1st in brisket with a near perfect score.

Yea, brother, I've been there.....nice recovery with the Tri Tip!

LOL, that's jacked up when what you would consider unedible, scores better than someone else's pride & joy (presumably).

I have a confession to make... this wasn't the first time I've liquified brisket... However! This time was unintentional, the first time though - It was the first brisket I'd ever done and long before I'd discovered this great site.
All I'd ever heard about brisket is that it was one tough SOB to get tender and had to be cooked forever to get there.
I figured I'd give it a little help. Injected a flat with a beef broth concoction thru the ends and sides and let it sit overnight.
smoked it at 250* till it seemed tender, pulled it off let it rest.

It looked beautiful, great bark and color... Sliced it open and I could literally scoop the center out of it with my finger... it looked like a brisket doughnut. That was bad, but only 1 flat and just for me, not 200 peeps!

Great thread here - I've been asked by many customers and now I've got pics to show them. Glad everything worked out well in the end.

Alright..

Why does my name pop up in every brisket nightmare thread.

There was that ONE brisket I cooked to perfection last year, remember? C'mon, you remember!

No......
Can't say that we do.

One bright note, that brisket had a really nice smoke ring... :thumb:

Note to self, sell stock in Kroker meat tenderizer... :tsk:

mmmm, mush. I would mix it in a blender like a milk shake and then add sauce to it. mmm BBQ milk shake.

But seriously that sux. I would have hit my head in the turkey fryer if this happened to me... Tri tip eh.. Doesnt that taste like liver? Thats not an insult, but rather an actual question.

thanx

You shoulda saved the(BAD) brisket for those IDIOTS that wanted well done TriTip.They woulda never known the difference!

what's a father to do, you feed em and school em so they will do the right thing, and then you sham me like this! why couldn't you have been a nice criminal or junky like your friends? but you had to be the destructor of meat!, i knew i should have eaten you when your bones where still soft!

NOW STRAIGHTEN UP AND GRILL RIGHT!!!

Tri tip eh.. Doesnt that taste like liver? Thats not an insult, but rather an actual question.

thanx
Tri tip comes from the sirloin and is very good. liver is from the guts and is not fit for human consumption

Tri tip eh.. Doesnt that taste like liver? Thats not an insult, but rather an actual question.

Tri tip comes from the sirloin and is very good. liver is from the guts and is not fit for human consumption

What Harry said - but that does not BEGIN to describe how good Tri-Tip is...

Think of roast beef cooked med rare and so tender that once sliced you can gently tug it apart - juicy as all heck and incredible beefy flavor. Please do yourself a favor and find one and cook it. 130* IT and rest for 10-15 min tightly wrapped in foil, use the juices in the foil to baste the slices & serve.

Oh, and then report back in regards to the comparison to liver... and appologize! :becky:

Back