• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled Fried Chicken Experiment

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
On another forum, that I'm a member of, they've been making chicken we've been calling Grill Fried Chicken or KFC. (Kamado Fried Chicken :becky:) Well obviously I got the inspiration for this cook from those Grilled Fried Chicken threads I’ve been seeing but chiefly from Boomstick’s (a Brethren), allycat’s and wilburpan’s.

I purchased a Grill Pack of chicken that was on sale.

I took one breast and 1 leg quarter and cut the quarter into a thigh and a drum stick. (Wife and MIL get the breast)

Then made up a dredge somewhat like Boomstick’s and allycat’s. Here are the Ingredients:

Amounts:
1/2 Cup AP Flour
1/4 Corn Starch
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

I dredged them and placed them on a rack and then into the fridge for 6 hours.

I took the last leg quarter and cut the quarter into a thigh and a drum stick. I made up a dredge ala wilburpan. (Just salt and baking powder)

I dredged them and placed them on the rack next to the others and then into the fridge for 6 hours.

I light the kamado and set it up for direct / in-direct cooking.

After the kamado got up to 350 I placed the chicken on the upper rack on the in-direct side. (The big pieces on the direct side are another grilled fried chicken experiment) The temp got up to 380.

After 10 minutes I flipped them.

And after another 10 minutes I reversed the sides for the chicken and let then cook another 10 minutes.

And here are the results:

Wilburpan’s method.

Boomstick’s / allycat’s method.

Comments: wilburpan pieces: The skin was nice and crisp but very salty. (This may be because I used Baking Soda instead of Powder or I didn’t cut down the amount of salt enough) The chicken under the skin was fantastic. It was moist and flavorful.

Boomstick’s / allycat’s pieces: On the thigh and drumstick the skin was nice and crisp and had a nice flavor. The chicken under the skin was fantastic. It was moist and flavorful. On the breast the meat was a little tough but I had overcooked it by letting it get up to 184 so that may be why.

Thanks for looking.

Definitely going to try this once I build my UDS. I'm thinking it was the salt that you needed to cut back on. JMO

2 Fat Pollocks did this back in 2006 and were disqualified in chicken for it. It was later found that they were legal in their technique but had not informed the reps of the unique cooking technique so were DQ'ed.

The thread was full of information and a step by step. Might be interesting to see if they were the inception. The thread was something like "How to get DQ'ed for no reason in 9 easy steps"

Last edited:
2 Fat Pollocks did this back in 2006 and were disqualified in chicken for it. It was later found that they were legal in their technique but had not informed the reps of the unique cooking technique so were DQ'ed.

The thread was full of information and a step by step. Might be interesting to see if they were the inception. The thread was something like "How to get DQ'ed for no reason in 9 easy steps"
Thanks and I'll try and find that thread.

Love KFC - also known as Kettle Fried Chicken
Yours looks awesome and now I want to make some!

Seen quite a number of these & this one looks to be right up there w/ the best.....

TX for the detailed fixups.....:-D

Back