• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pellet Vs. Charcoal Smoker

The FEC-100 definitely does "yo-yo", but it is a controlled "yo-yo" just like when an oven turns its heating element on and off.

I imagine you would see a "yo-yo" effect on any cooker that used something like a fan/pid as the fan and fuel cycle up to get back to the set-temp.

I personally do not believe this is a bad thing when it comes to producing a great product.

Pyle, have you looked at the FEC-100 for your restaurant? NSF etc., and I have cooked some ridiculous amounts of food in it as well as run it for hours on end. I love that cooker. Best BBQ investment I ever made except for maybe my subscription to this forum. (yeah shameless plug, but we all know this place rocks)

There is some temp fluctuation in every cooker as the fire dies down and more fuel has to be added. But, when you consider that the meats are cooking for hours, does it really matter? It's the average temperature that really matters.

Also, the placement of the Maverick probe in the FEC makes a big difference. If it was near the front edge of one of the racks you will see a bigger variation in temperature than is it were in the middle of the rack. There is a small gap at the front where heat can come up around the heat shield and that will vary more than the area above the heat shield.

As far as the smoke flavor, I've posted this before, so forgive me if you've read it before :-D Yes, it is not as strong as some other cookers, but I have tasted competition meats cooked on and FEC and on a Jambo (probably the hottest competition cooker right now) and no one in the group could taste a difference in the smoke flavor. Also, in 6 years of cooking on my FEC-100 no one has complained about a lack of smoke flavor. This includes the general public, other BBQers, other comp cooks and a whole lot of judges.

something about having to plug in your grill just doesn't sit well with me.. i can pull my old school stickburner anywhere above water and cook with it.. nothing required except wood. I don't have to be by the house to cook with my stickburner.. pull park cook.. Fire and Meat is all that is required..

I'm not disagreein' with what works for you. Different strokes for different folks... I have a lot of smokers including a Traeger and I can put it right next to yours and cook, even in the boonies. Just sayin'. Cheers!!! :wink:

Much like Cowgirl I have a Stumps Stretch, WSM 22.5, UDS, Treager 150XL (6 yrs old) and a Bar Be Chef. I love all of my grills and smoker. On my Treager I can cook anything from Steaks to Brisket with it. And it's good every time. But again I love and use all of my smokers.

Im all about the stick burner. I used the UDS before I got my big offset, and still use it on occasion. But 95% of the time I fire up the big boy.

The only pellets I use is in my Gamo and Benjamin pellet rifles usually dropping squirrels from my pecan trees!!!!!LOL Using pellets to me is kinda like kissing your sister it just aint right !!!!! That is for me I am sure a lot of people love em!!!!!!

Back