What would you think about using this thermometer?

Looks like a Thermopen only half the price. Might be worth a look. Only comes in one color?
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=67&prodid=401
Sounds like it is faster.
From the data sheet.
Features:
• Wide ˚C/˚F switchable temperature range
-58 to 572°F (-50 to 300°C)
• Fold up probe 4.5" (114mm) adjusts from 0˚ to 180˚ for
best measurement and viewing angle
• Large LCD display with 0.1 degree resolution
• Auto power off after 1 hour or
when probe is placed in stored position
• Data Hold and Min/Max recordings
Fast response time — one second
under normal conditions

• Complete with wrist strap and one AAA battery

I think the 1 second response time is probably a little misleading. Not sure but just a gut feeling. I think it is referring to how often it is reading the temperature, it still may take 30 seconds to get to the accurate reading. True response time should be how long it takes for a room temperature probe to reach 32 F when placed in an ice bath.
Might be a good deal at $40 but my guess is it won't be any faster than a digital instant read probe you can get at Wal-Mart for $10. Plus the Thermopen also has better shock and moisture resistance. The best to you on whatever you choose.

The key point I see here is that it is looks like a thermometer not a thermocouple. A typical thermometer, with a bi-metal stem probe, is going to be a lot slower than a thermocouple, which is completely electronic. The one second response time thing may be misleading.

It is also possible they say 'thermometer' to appeal to the public as not many people realize the difference between a thermometer and a thermocouple.

Thanks for the input everyone. There are too many variables here. You get what you pay for. I think I will stick with my plans to get a Thermapen!

Thanks for the input everyone. There are too many variables here. You get what you pay for. I think I will stick with my plans to get a Thermapen!

Good call right there!

If you need something that reads to 572 degrees for food, I'm not eating it when you pull it off the grill... :p

Key phrase here is "under normal conditions". Notice the tip of the probe doesn't get smaller like the Thermapen.

Amazon reviews confirm that this is a piece of crap.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Extech-39272-Pocket-Thermometer-Adjustable/dp/B000LDFM6I"]Amazon.com: Extech 39272 Pocket Fold up Thermometer with Adjustable Probe: Home Improvement[/ame]

Pick up a Sears Kenmore at Kmart for 14 bucks it similar to the one shown ,, now that what I call splash proofwas made by Maverick, left it out in the rain all night still working

Back