View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I would NOT sauce with a whole hour to go. Especially if you are using a thicker sauce with sugar as it will likely burn (the sugar that is) and make them very dark. When I sauce ribs (and I always do) I wait until the ribs are done and ready to come off, then sauce liberally, then let them cook for only about 10 more minutes, then pull them and foil to rest. iF you're using a thinner, mop style sauce, you should be fine. I like molasses based sauces, so I only cook for enough time to "set" the sauce.

Also, personally, I do NOT foil at all during the cook. Many do, though, so if that's what you're after, give it a shot. I would say, though, that 2 hours foiled is risky. You may have mush ribs with that long. You'll either have to check them (which is a PIA with the foil.....the main reason I don't do it) or just go with 1 hour foiled. The last time I did 3-2-1 ribs, it was actually more like 2.5-1-1.

The real secret with BBQ is doing what YOU want and learning from it.
The above is only my advice. Take it or leave it. I'm no pro....this is just what works for me.

Good luck bro!!

At least you're Q'ing!!!
You're about to venture down an addictive road!!!
Wampus is dead on here. The 3-2-1 and foil methods work, but they're just what some folks like to do. They've worked for me, but they're not set in stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Since you have two racks, it's a great time to experiment with two different methods.
Awesome advice here, too. Vary something between the two racks and you'll learn twice as much.
Good luck and don't forget to let us know what you found out!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->