Call me insane, All in the name of BBQ science. 51 below zero

Thats pretty crazy. I posted in your other thread how I was having issues with my maverick over NYE in some super sub zero temps. First I lost the display, then it eventually just stopped sending all together. Sounds like you got an advantage of being able to put in inside your insulation there. I didn't have an option like that.

Be watching to see how this turns out. Its -20F here now with windchills as well. They canceled work and Im NOT going outside again. Took the dog around the block was quite enough.

Yea Bob i just used the clip on the back of the transmitter and hung it on my reflectix sleeve...but facing inward.

Initially i had it facing outward but that's when it froze up. Facing it in there was enough heat to make it work. That reflectix sleeve is amazing.

OK, I promise that I'll never beotch about the cold here in Florida again, ever! That is one tasty looking bird!

Great looking bird..!

Glad I'm not the only one who cooks in these conditions... :thumb:
It's been the daily norm here in Manitoba for about a month now.
Frost quakes up there?

..I was just curious whether the mini could handle 350 at those temps. Anyhow i'd NEVER hesitate to fire up any of the smokers up no matter what temp.

Just got done walking the dogs a couple miles @ 55 below wind chill....i was warm except for my eye brows. :laugh:

Great looking bird..!

Glad I'm not the only one who cooks in these conditions... :thumb:
It's been the daily norm here in Manitoba for about a month now.
I'm kinda jealous. I have a thing for winter...it's meant to be like this. lol, crazy i know

Its not meant to be like this in the us.

LOL, yea how'd you keep your cheese from freezing? I've put a high wattage bulb in the smoke box but not sure that'd work in these conditions! :laugh:

My first plan (using a soldering iron in a can of wood chips) didn't work. I ended up using a butane burner with one of those metal boxes for smoking in a gas grill. I kept burner as low as I could possibly get it but it was enough to cause the snow on the top of the smoker to melt a little.

This is the first time trying this. I hope I didn't ruin the cheese and it mellows out a lot.

Back