Tri-tip

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, I got this outstanding piece of tri-tip, that had some great marbling and the perfect triangle shape. I am sort of doing an experiment with this hunk, but, I thought about something. I have mentioned in previous posts that it is my belief that tri-tips have two different grain structures and two different grain directions, and I have been told that this is not true. But, this piece really shows that concept of mine, I enhanced it with black lines.
wholetri-tip-med.jpg

The dash-dot line shows the break point where the grain meets, and the arrows show the difference in the grain run, if you look at the cut edge, you can even see how the 'strike' of the grain is a little different as well. Or I am just bragging that I got a real nice tri-tip today. :-D

I agree, I have cut enough tri-tips the last 5 years to know there is two distinct patterns.

Bragger :becky:

It doesn't look very done. Where's the pron on the finished product? Great looking piece of meat though.:-D

I am experimenting with it, will take a few days to finish it off for posting. Hopefully I am not messing this up.

That is a beautiful tri-tip! Did you buy it already trimmed, and if so what did you pay? Just bought some untrimmed for $2.88 lb. Grilled this one last night, but forgot to get the money shot..

tritip001.jpg

That looks like a very typical Tri Tip to me and must have barbecued a thousand of them in the last 40+ years. I always slice from the narrow end to about halfway and then cut the remaning half the other direction. People always comment on how tender my Tri Tips are and I think that it is all in the slicing across the grain.

Picture stolen from the WSM page.

White, meat grain
Blue, cut lines

NUTZ
Darn, none of the tri-tip I buy comes with those blue lines. Guess I must be shopping at the wrong meat markets :doh:.

I picked it up at Farmer Joe's Market in Oakland, CA, it was I think, $4.95 a pound, it was trimmed already. Yes, mine did not come with the blue lines either, NUTZ must be buying the beginner tri-tips still. :p

No, I am prepping to become the squirrel.:crazy: Actually, I will enter the Masters of Tri-tip once Mister Big gets it all sussed out.

To trim, Terry start at the top of the triangle!

DSCN0682.jpg
Speaking of bragging, you couldn't find a picture of you trimming tri-tip in someones driveway, noooo, you had to post one of you in a gorgeous setting, in your chef blacks...Marvelous :laugh:

That's a beautiful tri tip! I always scratch my head when people insist on saying there are not two different grain patterns on a tri tip. Makes me wonder how many they've actually cooked. :confused:

Back