Butcher Paper...no brisket here

angryfish01

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Don't want to stirr up the brisket debate, this is a question about butcher paper.
What else can you use it for? What else could be wrapped and cooked with it?
I have used it to wrap roasted peppers in to help steam off the skin, used it to start the charcoal chimney, just add a little cooking oil.
Ummm......What else, anyone?

I've had a big roll sitting around for the last year. It wasn't until I watched one of Pitmaster T's videos where he and his boys were prepping ribs on the paper that I realized how useful it is. Since then, I've been prepping everything on a sheet of it, using it to carry the cuts to the smoker, and then using another sheet to pull the cut and rest when done. I'm putting it on my grill shelf and just prepping right there. Putting it on the counter and prepping there. Rolling stuff up in it and stuffing it in the fridge to wait until I get more stuff ready, and on and on. I don't think I could live without it now, and my foil consumption is WAY down.

You can wrap any meats you cook on the smoker and in the oven at lower temperatures. You can use it to soak up oil on fried stuff.

I would imagine that you could save the used paper and use it to light charcoal chimneys. Never tried it but seems like it would work.

I love the stuff. I have so much of it, that I use it for many things. Obviously, it is great for wrapping briskets, pork butts, ribs, etc. I also lay it down on my kitchen island to season/rub meats for bbq. It is a great thing to put down under a big frier when frying fish. I also use it as a pan liner when baking fish so I do not have to scrub the pan down later, just throw the paper out. Good stuff.

It makes a dandy plate. Party hats, warp left overs for party favors,

I would imagine that you could save the used paper and use it to light charcoal chimneys. Never tried it but seems like it would work.

I've used it to light chimneys and it works great. I also used it to make notes on. I actually only used it on meat a few times and have a lot leftover :loco:. I may wrap some presents in it soon.

I use it to dry out salami, pepperoni, and landjaegers. You can even use it to dry age steaks for a few days in the fridge.

I would think you could use it for any salmon in parchment recipes.

But unwaxed butcher paper would absorb some of the juices, instead of containing all of them. It might work less well or better, but surely it wouldn't work virtually the same way.

By the way, we are all talking about paper that's not coated on either side aren't we?

Back