• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chitlin update...

At least ya tried em!

Well, they don't call em chit'lins for nothing. How were they prepared? That's the key when it comes to eating em. Around here they make em either "soft" or "crunchy." I'm not a big fan of the soft version, but the crunchy ones are awesome. Cleaning em really good makes a difference too. At least you can cross them off your list, even if it is permanently! :-D

The ones that are just boiled..........those are not really good. I'm not a fan of those either. The key is to let them release all of the moisture and then they cook/fry in their own fat. Once the fat has rendered off, they become golden brown (no pun intended!) and crunchy. That's how they taste best for me.

Bob

Tried boiled ones once Came out of my mouth like a bad oyster I was told they were not prepared right May be willing to try again if done right- not boiled

I clean them really good, and strip all the stuff out of them, wash them at least twice. Boil them with a little vinegar in the water. Serve with hot sauce.

I concur with most of the brethren here. Simply boiled, they are not appetizing, boiled then pan fried in oil or lard. Salty, savory, and irony. Add lime and hot sauce. Very good.

OK, I have had chitlins one time growing up. I was asked to cook them 3 times in the last 20 years. I had a woman that has been cleaning them for years clean them. Called by BIL from South Carolina and is my go to guy for soul food. He said boil them with onions, black pepper, salt and a peeled white potato... the potato will take up any off flavor so throw it out when you are done.

The house did not stink and I actually ate half a portion but everybody else loved them. Cleaning them is key and the potato works.

Jeff

Back