Great, Easy cook in my Assassin today

mep

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
As the title says, I had a great, easy cook of two 8 lb. butts in the Assassin. It was about 37 degrees when I was starting my fire. So, I used the weed burner to warm up the inside of the smoker and to burn off the shelves, then I started my fire with the Guru set for 275. It only took about 40 minutes for the smoker to stabilize at 275.

Put the meat on, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, and smoked it with some Hickory, Peach and Apple wood. the butts were in the smoker for 7 hours and I pulled them out at 200 degrees. The smoker never varied off 275 degrees and recovered in about 5 minutes the one time I did open the door.

I forgot to take pictures until I was in the process of pulling the pork. In the second picture, notice the discoloration on the top of my dog's head. I forgot to put a grease pan underneath the grease drain. He found found it and obviously enjoyed the grease on his head. LOL

Nice looking, Glad it held the heat for ya. Gotta love the happy dogs.

That's a nice looking pile of pork.

-10 points for the polka dot doggie collar though

-10 points for the polka dot doggie collar though

The polka dot collar is my wife's idea. Our female dog wears one just like it, except pink. You win some, you lose some.

We ate pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and put 7lb. in one pound bags in the freezer.

What did you use for your main fuel source? Were the woods added in the bottom for flavor?

What did you use for your main fuel source? Were the woods added in the bottom for flavor?

I was using Kingsford Blue, just because I have a gob of it. My only problem with it is that it produces a lot of ash. I actually prefer lump. I put the smoking wood in the ash pan for flavor. The combination of the peach and apple with the hickory provided a real fruity smoke flavor.

Good deal. I was using Kingsford red bag for the last two but had to be sure the big lumps didn't get stuck. I'm going to do some added flavor wood on the next cook so I appreciate the feedback.

I see your dog is just waiting for you to accidentally drop some pork on the floor. When I cook BBQ and bring it in the house, my dog went crazy. He would be all the way in the basement barking and whining !

Back