BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown

This is not an entry photo, it was taken last fall, just posting for inspiration.
P1010106.jpg

I was going to borrow Ross in Ventura's idea of grilling fish on top of lime slices for my Tilapia tonight, but the Cast Iron Throwdown changed my mind.

I coated the Tilapia lightly with olive oil and a medium coating of Yardbird on both sides

IMG_4251.JPG

and put into a preheated cast iron skillet in Eggbert (Eggbert was setup for direct cooking at about 400 degrees). It cooked for about four minutes on the first side and then flipped it for another three minutes.

IMG_4258.JPG

I served it with a Russet potato that I scored, brushed with olive oil and dusted with Yardbird and cooked in Eggbert and some steamed broccoli and red bell pepper strips. The fish was nice and flaky and fell apart a little when I put it on the plate.

IMG_4259.JPG

I'll go with this picture, Chris.

That looks real nice Ron!!!!

I'd agree with that. I love tilapia, but it breaks up on the grill too easily. I liked very much Ross' style on limons, but this is another alternative. Sure beats cooking it inside and stinking up everything!

Not sure what to make Bob, I wads thinking chilly & bread in both Do's!

But the beans will take 2 days to make!

AH yes, chili and bread.........I like your thinking. 2 DAYS for beans???.......don't tell me.....you soak em?:-D

Pretty much just outta the bag. I sort through em, rinse em then into boiling water. The thing about the DO's is that they are pretty close to a pressure cooker. That heavy lid keeps in the steam. Rather than soak for a day or two, I just boil em for a few hours instead. Pretty much the same outcome in the end.
I do it that way for all dried beans.
I fill the DO with water, put it over the fire, toss in the beans, put the lid on and let the fire and the DO do the rest. From there I add the extras once the beans are close to ready.

Making pigs feet soup in the do and then I'm going to use my home made broth from a pork shoulder roast!

Can I get one do that's going to bpoil the pig's feet up too 400 + degree's?

Skirt steak pinwheels, with provolone, baby spinach and baby portabella mushrooms. Added sweet potato and asparagus for sides.

This is a great quick week night thing you can just toss together. You can do everything, beginning to end in less than an hour.

Coated the skirt steaks in evoo, Fast Edie’s steak rub, baby spinach, provolone, baby bellas a touch more evoo and rub.

2010-03-27112801.jpg

2010-03-27112832.jpg

Rolled/tied and placed on CI plates with more spinach and mushrooms. Added a few pats of butter, a little more cheese and they are ready for the grill! 350* for 20-30 min.

P3280017.jpg

I put the CI grate in the lower position w/direct heat for the asparagus and added them during the last 10-15 min. The sweet potatoes had been on for 1 1/2 hours (rubbed the skins w/evoo, S&P). Cooked the steaks on the upper rack. This way all the food was cooked using CI.

P3280005.jpg

Submit-1.jpg

This is the pic I’d like to submit!

Thanks!
Boat

Back