• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first attempt at a UDS

daWreck'n Q

Reaction score
Thanks to all the people here and the great advice; I started on my UDS this morning. Will finish up with everything my the purdy it up stuff tomorrow. I stole the Char Broil tag and grates from a burned up grill. I could not find racks that fit the way I wanted. Remembered I had these laying around and a chop saw. I still have to build the fire ring. I have a Weber ring that I plan on attaching expanded to. Over all I am happy with the way it is going so far. I have a few pics.
552112_3702250835653_463892484_n.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start with the UDS. You're gonna love it!
I parked the Weber and Pro Q after I built mine. :)
One thing I learned really quick was the therm in the side on mine is useless to me. Tru-Temp with a 2 or 3 inch probe but it just doesn't reflect what's actually going on in there.

Looks good so far. Are you going to have a separate opening for the charcoal? those bolts look like they would interfere if you were trying to droop a charcoal basket in from the top.

I have not exactly figured out the charcoal basket part. Everything really moves pretty easy through the bolts. I have to kinda snake it, but it seems to be ok. Will know more tomorrow when I get to that part. Red Neck engineared at it's best. Thanks for kind words and advice.

One thing I learned really quick was the therm in the side on mine is useless to me. Tru-Temp with a 2 or 3 inch probe but it just doesn't reflect what's actually going on in there.
One thing I learned really quick was the therm in the side on mine is useless to me.
I am researching a good thermo or probe now. I just put this one on because I thought it would look cool. Can you tell me more about the Tru-Temp? I am open to other suggestions as well.

One thing I learned really quick was the therm in the side on mine is useless to me.
I am researching a good thermo or probe now. I just put this one on because I thought it would look cool. Can you tell me more about the Tru-Temp? I am open to other suggestions as well.

I made a typo on my post with the Tru-Temp, it's actually a Tel True bbq thermometer(Google it) and they are great therms.

It's the 2 1/2" stem and the location in the side that are the issue in my UDS because it doesn't give an accurate reading of the temps on the cooking grate. Mine is over 100 degrees variance. I think others are using a longer stemmed turkey therm and inserting it after the fire basket.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 40
Back