View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I used this line of thinking exactly. I slightly overcooked my ribs thinking that the "judges" would prefer that. We finished 36th with scores of:

876 877 688 799 677 678

I know that the money raised was for charity, and while its fun to do well in any competition, I feel bad for the teams that only entered this contest. To enter a contest where the judging is done by mostly untrained judges, is unfair to these competitors. These teams have paid good money to enter what amounts to be a crap shoot.

To answer your original question, I doubt there is anything that could be done to improve scores in a situation like that. I think that you will get a better idea of how you stand once you enter a sanctioned event or two. Maybe contact the guys running the Brockport contest and find out what it would cost to enter only one category.

Thanks Red Valley... I totally appreciate the comments. I knew what I was getting into, with this, and that I should take any results with a grain of salt. I was doing this cook off for the experience, since I hadn't done any comp before, so it was an amazing experience, and I definitely got the chance to "dip my toes in the water" so to speak. I was fairly sure that my appearance scores should have been higher, but I am not going to fault the judges. Like you said, it was for charity... I just wanted the opinion of some of the fine folks here, so I could see what I would have gotten, and see how I could improve on some of these scores.

I might just check out the Brockport comp.
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote