Sunday Nite Carne Asada Tacos With Homemade Chile de Arbol Salsa

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I found an interesting recipe for a chile de arbol salsa. It called for 50 chile de arbols, NOT seeded. Knowing what I know about these chiles, I opted to seed about 50% of them. Even so, this stuff was HOT! Aside from the heat the salsa was actually wonderful with nice smoky overtones. I also made a spicy jalapeno/tomatillo roasted salsa, but the chile arbol salsa stole the show.

Here's the condiments ready to load on the tacos:

IMG_0177.jpg

And here's two fully loaded tacos, accompanied by homemade tortilla chips and pico de gallo, courtesy of the missus:

IMG_0180.jpg

Those are some of the best looking tacos I have seen on the site:eusa_clap

I agree with Gore, the meat looks perfectly done.

Want to share your recipes for the asada and salsa??

I was so awed with the tacos, I forgot to mention your avatar - looks like he is waiting patiently to be served:biggrin:

Those are some of the best looking tacos I have seen on the site:eusa_clap

I agree with Gore, the meat looks perfectly done.

Want to share your recipes for the asada and salsa??

For the asada, you need the following:

1/2-1 Cup Fresh Squeezed OJ
Lawry's seasoning salt.
Fresh cilantro and onion slivers.

Sprinkle salt on both sides of each piece of meat. Then put some OJ in a glass baking dish, enough to cover. Then sprinkle some onions and cliantro on the bottom. Then place the first layer of meat in the pan, then cover with more onions and cilantro and OJ. Repeat until all the meat has been used, each layer covered with OJ, cilantro, and onion. Cover, and refrigerate 24-48 hours. Grill over hot coals, or using a reverse sear as I do to get a more smoky taste. The onions are also good grilled!

Here's the salsa roja:

SalsaRoja.jpg

Remember, if you make this recipe as is, this stuff is HOT! :icon_bugeyed Next time I'm going to add 4 Roma tomatoes that have been blackened under the broiler, and seed 75% of the chiles.

Thanks, Moose.

Did you use skirt steak or flank steak or ??.

I thought that was a LOT of salsa for one that must have been searing. Think the blackened romas will add some great flavor and tone it down a bit.

I had to go out for carnitas tacos for lunch after seeing your pics first thing this morning:biggrin:

Thanks, Moose.

Did you use skirt steak or flank steak or ??.

I thought that was a LOT of salsa for one that must have been searing. Think the blackened romas will add some great flavor and tone it down a bit.

I had to go out for carnitas tacos for lunch after seeing your pics first thing this morning:biggrin:

USDA Choice Skirt from Costco. Best there is...flank steak doesn't have enough fat.

Moose, they look fantastic!! Your posts always make me hungry. lol Thanks for sharing. :-D

Man, those look so much better than ones from my local taco truck. And usually the taco trucks produce the best tacos, at least in mi barrio.

I have to admit that the Lawrey's is kind of a surprise in Mex cooking. And I might drizzle a bit of lime juice onthere too, but those are some good looking 'flavor delivery devices'!

Man, those look so much better than ones from my local taco truck. And usually the taco trucks produce the best tacos, at least in mi barrio.

Coming from a SoCal Bretheren, that's a real compliment! Just curious, which taco truck are you referring to and where is it located?

Back